Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 02:01 PM

How to fail a driving test

So, after the long saga of my daughter having her licence revoked, she was finally able to take her driving test today.

Failed - she was driving a bit too slowly on a road which didn't have a speed limit stated anywhere on it nor on minor roads off it, so she assumed it was 20 as it's in a residential area, and slowed down to cater for a speed bump.

How tight is that?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 02:03 PM

Re: How to fail a driving test

She should have passed purely because she was being so careful! Will she try again, Dex?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
She should have passed purely because she was being so careful! Will she try again, Dex?
Yep.

I thought it sounded a bit mean.

Could imagine a fail if she was driving in excess of the upper limit, but not under it.

She said that she'd noticed that the tester's gps seemed out of kilter with the car's speedometer (she had been doing about 25 somewhere, but his gps said 17), which might have exacerbated it a little. But even so!!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 02:12 PM

They are being punitive, Dex. I failed the driver's test when I was a teen in California for the exact same reason - being "too cautious." I wasn't, but they couldn't find any other reason not to pass me. We all failed the first time.

She will pass next time.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

21-05-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
They are being punitive, Dex. I failed the driver's test when I was a teen in California for the exact same reason - being "too cautious." I wasn't, but they couldn't find any other reason not to pass me. We all failed the first time.

She will pass next time.
Hopefully!!!

It is cruelly ironic that she'd had her licence revoked for speeding. She'd passed her test on her first attempt initially and had been driving independently for nearly 2 years without any incident.

But, today, I don't think I'll mention it to her!!!!!!!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 03:55 PM

If your licence is revoked for any reason they are unlikely to restore it until all the hoops have been jumped through, all the 't's crossed and 'i's dotted and then some extra delay because they (DVLA) are taking industrial action.

Everything seeems to take up to 10 days to do the simplest task.

Frustrating it is but eventually she will be let off the hook.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

21-05-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
If your licence is revoked for any reason they are unlikely to restore it until all the hoops have been jumped through, all the 't's crossed and 'i's dotted and then some extra delay because they (DVLA) are taking industrial action.

Everything seeems to take up to 10 days to do the simplest task.
Hoops have been jumped. Theory test passed. Practical test taken. Examiners are not aware of any prior history and test things on face value.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Hoops have been jumped. Theory test passed. Practical test taken. Examiners are not aware of any prior history and test things on face value.
Dealing with any government department can be a nightmare, hopefully it will soon be over.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

21-05-2021, 04:13 PM

whilst I do sympathize with your daughters dilemma and we have all been through something similar no doubt but driving too slowly is considered a potentially dangerous maneuver and particularly during a test condition. The examiner has the right to fail.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 04:14 PM

My driving instructor said to me that during my test, that if I went from a 30mph area to a 40mph area to increase my speed to show that I'd seen the change in speed limits. Instructors don't like dawdlers apparently as it shows lack of confidence.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top