Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 10:37 AM

Hyundai Hidden Keyhole!

After finding my i40 on the Club Car Park, with no power, unable to even use the key to get in, there seemed to be no keyhole.

After faffing around, after a long, tiring, day out in the sun, playing golf, I, finally called out my Grandson to come and help.

Needless to say, all the tools & manuals were locked inside the car!

After, about, an hour, he found that a part of the drivers door knob can be pulled off, with a screw driver, to reveal a hidden key hole, and the door can then be unlocked with the ignition key.

A jump start & then able to drive home.(after cancelling the AA call).

We live & learn (not!)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 12:05 PM

Re: Hyundai Hidden Keyhole!

I often wonder how many of us bother to read the owner's handbook. I know I don't unless there is some sort of problem. I wonder if it is hidden as a part of the design or weather it is a security measure? Well found by the way
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 12:22 PM

Hi

When I was working I went on a full day course on how different cars can be broken into.

It was a real eye opener.

Some very expensive ones can be opened by just hitting the door with your hand in a certain way.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
After finding my i40 on the Club Car Park, with no power, unable to even use the key to get in, there seemed to be no keyhole.

After faffing around, after a long, tiring, day out in the sun, playing golf, I, finally called out my Grandson to come and help.

Needless to say, all the tools & manuals were locked inside the car!

After, about, an hour, he found that a part of the drivers door knob can be pulled off, with a screw driver, to reveal a hidden key hole, and the door can then be unlocked with the ignition key.

A jump start & then able to drive home.(after cancelling the AA call).

We live & learn (not!)
All in the name of modern, technological 'improvements' too!

Whatever happened to the days when cars could be left unlocked
as could our front doors too?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I often wonder how many of us bother to read the owner's handbook. I know I don't unless there is some sort of problem. I wonder if it is hidden as a part of the design or weather it is a security measure? Well found by the way
I definitely don't read the handbook either LD, it requires a degree
to do that and I don't have one of those!

Edited to add:
Just so happens I have the handbook here, all 433 pages of it, trying to sort out bluetooth and mobile phone connecting problems. It's just an ordinary VW Golf saloon, four seats, four wheels purchased to get me from A to B – Bluetooth? Mobile phone? A computer on wheels – why?
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 02:15 PM

My Ford Puma is the same
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
All in the name of modern, technological 'improvements' too!

Whatever happened to the days when cars could be left unlocked
as could our front doors too?

I definitely don't read the handbook either LD, it requires a degree
to do that and I don't have one of those!

Edited to add:
Just so happens I have the handbook here, all 433 pages of it, trying to sort out bluetooth and mobile phone connecting problems. It's just an ordinary VW Golf saloon, four seats, four wheels purchased to get me from A to B – Bluetooth? Mobile phone? A computer on wheels – why?
I know what you mean. You do need a degree just to set up the radio sometimes. I'm sure we only ever use about 10% of available technology.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 05:59 PM

Mine has an app that tells me about unauthorised door opening, even though its me opening the doors!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2021, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I know what you mean. You do need a degree just to set up the radio sometimes. I'm sure we only ever use about 10% of available technology.
That is more than likely but we still have the remaining 90% to pay for but often do not even want! OK so some of it might be useful, eventually, when we have learned it but then when it goes wrong a mortgage is required to pay to get it fixed.

Personally with all the problems of driving a laptop, which when it goes wrong having to pay out £100 an hour to the rip-off dealer to fix it. More problems with a rather old but still working mobile phone. Even more problems with all the security requirements on personal accounts on the utility websites and also e-mail. Then there's all the scammers, they've now taken over my landline so just get the answer machine, I don't even use the landline any more it's that bad!

Some call all this technology, I call it a PITA. Very frustrating and costly considering the use, or lack of, that I get out of it all, especially since the coronavirus lockdown restrictions.

Rant over, thanks for reading (if of course anyone did so).
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 10:50 AM

I learned a similar lesson when our eldest's car died in a Homebase car park.

There was a hidden keyhole under the push-button of the driver's side door handle. The button had a hinged cover a bit like an old fashioned door escutcheon that could be pushed upwards in an anti-clockwise motion to reveal said secret keyhole.

Many household safes with a digital keypad have a keyhole under a removable cover in case the internal batteries die.

No, I haven't read my car handbook either, but but the car does have keyholes in plain sight, so I could always get into it if needs be.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2021, 11:06 AM

Just reading (at last) some of the guidance in the manual!

Some quite interesting items.

e.g. The doors, automatically, lock themselves after a very short period of time (a few minutes).

Thus they had to put in a safety measure in case it did this whilst you had left a child, or an animal, in the car, whilst you popped into the shop.

So, the car has to recognise any movement, in the car, just in case. and not lock the car. If the car is already locked, the alarm will go off after a period of time if any movement is noted.!

Your child could be trapped in otherwise.

So, I'm told, my car had locked, on a sunny day in the club car park, and the heat caused the stick on camera to fall off the windscreen.

Spotting this device swinging around, the car triggered the alarm system.

The alarm system must have been ignored whilst calling out all day. on the car park, because the battery became so flat that there was nothing left. There was just a small glimmer coming out of all the lights.

There would have been lots of people walking by!!!!

Where will we go next?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top