Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:56 PM

Re: Adopting a retired greyhound

Well done Margaret a lady I worked with rescued greyhounds, they are lovely gentle sweet natured dogs.

Being sprinters not marathon runner, after a quick short burst of excercise they like to sleep a lot.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Well done Margaret a lady I worked with rescued greyhounds, they are lovely gentle sweet natured dogs.

Being sprinters not marathon runner, after a quick short burst of excercise they like to sleep a lot.
That is what we have been told - two 20 minute walks per day.
We have also been told that greyhounds make lovely companions for older people who can't get out very much. Annie will become part of our little family and will be taken with us wherever we go when that is possible and will be a companion for my husband when I go out alone - in that circumstance they will probably doze together until I get back!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:23 PM

I was surprised at how tall greyhounds were when I first saw one a few years back. Very elegant dogs.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:07 PM

What lovely news MargaretF. Greyhounds are the ideal companions as we get older, because they need so little exercise and they love company. Annie sounds like a perfect fit. You must upload some pictures of her when you bring her home
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 04:56 PM

Have owned Greyhounds and Whippets off and on for most of my life they are lovely dogs.

As has been said they only need a short run then they are ready for a kip.

One of my greyhounds was called Galtymore.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 06:11 PM

A lot of the dogs in our local Dog Rescue centres (yes I'm thinking about it now that retirement seems closer!) are greyhounds who are in transition in to "normality" after being racing dogs in a previous life. Taking them on would require a lot of patience and hard work I'm sure.
They are beautiful dogs though.
Annie sounds perfect for you two Margaret!
I wish you many happy and affectionate times together x

And PHOTOS are a must!!!!
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2021, 07:24 PM

My last couple of dogs SBT's have been rescues oldies 10+ and now the youngster; my neighbour has greyhounds and rescues lovely dogs.

Welcome home Annie.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 09:23 AM

Thank you all for your supportive comments - I will get a photo of Annie and put it on here as soon as she is settled. I am collecting her tomorrow and have been busy getting everything ready.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

19-06-2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
A lot of the dogs in our local Dog Rescue centres (yes I'm thinking about it now that retirement seems closer!) are greyhounds who are in transition in to "normality" after being racing dogs in a previous life. Taking them on would require a lot of patience and hard work I'm sure.
They are beautiful dogs though.
Annie sounds perfect for you two Margaret!
I wish you many happy and affectionate times together x

And PHOTOS are a must!!!!
Annie retired from racing when she was 4 years old and her trainer kept her for another year before handing her over to the Greyhound Trust. She did live in a domestic situation for a couple of weeks but the family who adopted her had another dog and they didn't get on - the other dog kept trying to nip Annie! That is where she learned to walk next to a wheelchair. She was returned to the Greyhound Trust and lived there for a while again until we saw her and knew she was the dog for us. So I think some of the ground work of teaching her to live in a home has already been carried out and we just have to pick up on that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 10:24 AM

Hi

My sister, husband and daughter have has rescue greyhounds for many years.

Lovely companions which do not need a lot of exercise.

A morning and evening free run around and they are happy.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top