Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 03:55 PM

Animal Welfare Talks

IF this ever happens, it would be a very long awaited excellent thing.

In May, the government announced it 'Action Plan for Animal Welfare'.
I must try not to be pessimistic and think that will be as far as it goes - talking - but this is what I have just read.

They are apparently going to discuss banning of electric shock collars (I thought they already had ); an increase in the minimum age for imported pups, this could stop international puppy farming; more action on pet theft; microchipping reform (plus compulsory chipping for cats);
and bans on cropped ears and docked tails being imported.

There is also a promise of regularion and licencing for rescue organisations; improvements for racing Greyhounds; plus even a mention of the Dangerous Dogs Act again.

They also want to restrict thge ability of unscrupulous traders to move heavily pregnant dogs into Great Britain - both commercially and un-commercially.

Geroge Eustace, environment secretary says:

"One of our key reforms here is to end the abhorent, cruel practice of puppy smuggling and low-welfare pet imports. Now the transition period has finished, and we have left the EU, we can go further than ever."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...ew-action-plan

I really hope good things come from all this, as legislation and help for the animals is way, way overdue.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 03:58 PM

Re: Animal Welfare Talks

Long overdue, Mups! Thank you for the information.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 04:48 PM

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 05:14 PM

Sounds just the ticket, but with this government I'll believe it when I see it happening. They are good at talking the talk but when it comes to walking the walk.......Useless.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Sounds just the ticket, but with this government I'll believe it when I see it happening. They are good at talking the talk but when it comes to walking the walk.......Useless.
Agreed
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 07:17 PM

I must admit i am trying hard not to be too pessimistic yet, after all, its taken Battersea Dogs Home over 4 yrs of campaigning to get tougher sentences passed for animal cruelty, and even after failing twice, new laws have finally been passed and signed by the Queen, to increase penalties for cruelty from 6 months to a max of 5 years.
The new law comes into force in England on 29th June 2021.

It will just be up to the daft old Judges now to stop pussy-footing about with their slap on wrists and suspended sentences, and dish out the 5 year prison sentences now.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 07:25 PM

I hope they do then.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 07:45 PM

I am also somewhat pessimistic about this. I'm sure that there are good bonefida owners who will all meet the professional requirements. It's the nasty lot who come up with some of the nastiest sh1t and the nastiest treatment to dogs and their owners.

I know a good friend and dog trainer who keeps a log of dogs that have been "removed" by the iniquitous thefts. Thousands. And that's one trainer.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top