Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:19 PM

Possibly the wrong place but hopefully more folk ---

Will see it.

Just had a call from the vet that we use for Snot (and any injured wildlife when the need arises.)

Apparently a feline version of lungworm is starting to be seen in East Anglia and did we want Snot to be checked out and treated as and when there was a problem.

I was tempted to say no but the certainty that the bloody thing would return and haunt us if we didn't and anything untoward happened I had little option.

Lungworm seems to be coming more common of late affecting cats and dogs though with different versions.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:34 PM

Re: Possibly the wrong place but hopefully more folk ---

Hi TAT thank you for the reminder.
I am very aware of lungworm in puppies and dogs and make sure they stay away from slugs and snails.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:41 PM

Very wise ArtfulTodger. Slugs and snails are dangerous harbourers of lungworm - try to keep your cat from coming into contact with them - eating or licking if one gets on the cat's coat - remove all toys etc. from the garden at night so they can't get "slugged".
I am only familiar with dog problems, but similar must apply to cats. You can get preventives for it (like the wormers) and it is treatable if it hasn't got too far. If your cat is an outdoor cat and a roamer, it might be a thought to go for the preventative route with meds., but we seem to dose our animals up with such a lot of stuff these days. Difficult to find a happy medium.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Will see it.

Just had a call from the vet that we use for Snot (and any injured wildlife when the need arises.)

Apparently a feline version of lungworm is starting to be seen in East Anglia and did we want Snot to be checked out and treated as and when there was a problem.

I was tempted to say no but the certainty that the bloody thing would return and haunt us if we didn't and anything untoward happened I had little option.

Lungworm seems to be coming more common of late affecting cats and dogs though with different versions.

Lungworm can be prevented, by subscribing with the vet a tablet every 3 months, so no worries of Jack every get those nasty worms.

Slug and snail trails are all over my garden.
Prevention is better...so I took those steps.

Edited misinformation.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Snot is too lazy to be classed as an outdoor moggy in that while it (never dared look!) always goes to its patch to do the essentials it's back in again like a shot unless it's a nice day and the Summerhouse is open when it heads for its cushion.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 07:55 PM

Snot is too lazy to be classed as an outdoor moggy in that while it (never dared look!) always goes to its patch to do the essentials it's back in again like a shot unless it's a nice day and the Summerhouse is open when it heads for its cushion.

My mum adopted a ferrel cat, it certainly loved its home comforts, sounds a bit like Snot.

Both have passed over.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi TAT thank you for the reminder.
I am very aware of lungworm in puppies and dogs and make sure they stay away from slugs and snails.

I agree with Meg about the slugs and snails, and that is the reason I never leave any of their toys or bones out in the garden overnight for these pesky things to slide over and leave their slimy trail.
Neither do I leave their outdoor water bowl down for the same reason.

Hope Snot stays well, Todger.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:47 PM

Probably not much to worry about then.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with Meg about the slugs and snails, and that is the reason I never leave any of their toys or bones out in the garden overnight for these pesky things to slide over and leave their slimy trail.
Neither do I leave their outdoor water bowl down for the same reason.

Hope Snot stays well, Todger.
Good advice Mups.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Lungworm can be prevented, by subscribing with the vet a tablet every 3 months, so no worries of Jack every get those nasty worms.

Slug and snail trails are all over my garden.
Prevention is better...so I took those steps.

Edited misinformation.
I had no idea of that Pauline..our Male Cat at 1 year old suddenly collapsed and the Vet amongst other thoughts said maybe lungworm..Lots of snails and slugs in our Bexhill on Sea garden....he was seriously ill, kept in the Vets care for a week, which was very traumatic to say the least. We got through all luckily, it was bacterial pneumonia, that is transmitted from cat to cat...Has left him with breathlessness at exercise now, he is 14 years of age and like's the cool weather so keeps in the shade out of doors ....he is more than a pet though....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top