Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Re: Printer ink pricier than champagne finds Which?

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Can't help with Epson Ecotank, sorry.

But I'm not sure how tou managed to wreck a printer?

I've used compatibles in two different Canon printers over the past ten years or so without any problems whatsoever and did so with Epson printers for decades before that.

Provided you research into the catridges first & provided you disble Canon's persistant update system which can be capable of upgrading the chip requirements & thus make some compatible chips on cartidges unusable, using quality compatibles should be no different for your printer than using originals).

In fact some companies like the one linked below will go so far as to guarantee your ink cartridge and the printer you use the cartridge in.
https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/arti...inter-warranty

These aren't the people I use BTW, but even here a set of compatible carts. for my particular printer are one-third the price of originals.
There is absolutely no way would I ever use the manufacturers cartridges unless prices become comparable to decent compatibles.

I've has a couple of printheads blocked by the use of rubbish ink quality.

First was in a Kodak Printer & Kodak supplied a new Print Head during warranty. Not everyone might want to make the change?

Then similar, having used friend recommended cartridges on a Canon.

Have settled on a good supplier, now, for my current pair of Canons - but I'm not about to recommend it (there is a workaround, via online search, which allows users to bypass the programmed print blocking used in some of the latest printers)

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I replaced it with an Epson Eco Tank, which has refillable ink tanks. I filled them when I bought the printer over 8 months ago, and they are all still over half full. Replacement bottles work out at around £8.50 each for the colour ones and £13.50 for the black. They claim to cut printing costs by up to 95%.
Interesting ..... and is print quality consistently good ..... ?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I used to have a Canon printer years ago and, once it was out of it's warranty, I used compatibles - they wrecked it - have never used them since!

Was thinking of trying the Epson Ecotank - has anyone used one of those?
I think it would be useful if potential buyers of printers put together a total price comparison list e.g.:-

Printer A - £ 300 to buy + X pounds for whatever amount of ink I think I might use, at the advertised ink prices.

Printer B- £50 to buy, Y pounds for whatever amount of ink I expect to use, at the advertised ink prices, for whatever I think is the lifetime of that printer. (example 3 years).

I think that we will all find that the lowest cost printers are burying their printer cost in the prices of their inks. (They might all cost much the same if we do the arithmetic)

We have to think about the total cost based on the amount of ink we use.

Hope I worded this well enough to be understood.

John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 03:28 PM

When my old Epson 810 went to the printer graveyard, I bought a Canon MP240 on Gumtree. only because it also came with an unopened set of Canon Colour & Black cartridges, beside the ones in the printer. Looking online at compatibles, I find for this printer, they are roughly £31 for both, hardly a bargain. On e-bay you can get the originals for about £18 to £20. Printer ink is always a rip off, but bugger all changes at all. Thankfully, I don't do a lot of printing, so I treat the cartridges like a bottle of fine wine!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 03:46 PM

I've only ever bought HP cartridges direct from HP for our HP printer after being stung with a set of compatibles that didn't work. However, I do have a set of Tesco re-manufactured cartridges ready to try when the current set gives up the ghost. Looking at them, they do look like the original HP ones in shape, size and colours used and the packaging does state the cartridges have been refilled. I assume from that, these are used HP cartridges that have been recycled.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 05:04 PM

HP Instant Ink at £2-00 a month regardless. I'm sure HP come out ahead but I don't care. I hardly miss that amount and can just forget about ink usage and where the best place is to get it from.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
HP Instant Ink at £2-00 a month regardless. I'm sure HP come out ahead but I don't care. I hardly miss that amount and can just forget about ink usage and where the best place is to get it from.
Presumably, this is the scheme you are refering to:

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/

HP Instant Ink

Never run out and save up to 70% on ink or 50% on toner
Your printing service includes:
  • Original HP ink or toner
  • Hassle-free delivery and recycling
  • Flexible plan options, starting at £0.99 per month
Apparently for £1.99 the scheme provides enough ink for 50 pages a month, which for the casual user, is probably convenient.

For me, however, 100 pages a month for £3.49 would have to be the minimum, but, with additional pages costing £1 for 10, I would probably have to upgrade to 300 pages a month for £9.99 so the yearly cost would be £120.

For £120, I can buy 6 sets of compatible cartrdges and print 3,000 pages so the comparison is very favourable to HP ..... !

But ..... I abandoned HP printers a few years ago after their software inhibited compatible cartdidges and switched to Epson .....

Still, it's a good deal for you .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

...Still, it's a good deal for you .....
It is because we don't need to print many pages a month. A good thing (for us) is that the cost is worked out on the page count. It doesn't take into account how much ink pages might use.

Much of the printing we do is to do with printing downloaded craftwork examples and patterns and they are quite often very colourful, perhaps use up to 15 pages and probably use a fair amount of ink.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

24-07-2021, 05:48 PM

It is because we don't need to print many pages a month. A good thing (for us) is that the cost is worked out on the page count. It doesn't take into account how much ink pages might use.

Much of the printing we do is to do with printing downloaded craftwork examples and patterns and they are quite often very colourful, perhaps use up to 15 pages and probably use a fair amount of ink.
Excellent .....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 07:26 PM

That's what I should have done when I bought my last HP printer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top