Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Only if they're on red, though!
http://www.ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/

Exemptions from Road Signs

Police, fire, ambulance, bomb disposal and blood service can drive through a red traffic light and disregard a keep left sign if it would hinder progress and can be done so without endangering anyone.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 05:36 PM

Unfortunately, they also run the risk of a flat battery too!
When I first bought my VW Golf I was a little concerned that the battery would go flat leaving me stranded if the engine had cut out with that start/stop system. I was assured by staff where I bought the car that the computer checks before the engine is cut out that there is enough in the battery to restart. It is also noticeable when having started the car from cold and using heater, heated rear screen etc., that the engine doesn't cut out for some while afterwards. An indication on the dashboard display shows a capital A in a circle with a diagonal cross through it indicating this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
When I first bought my VW Golf I was a little concerned that the battery would go flat leaving me stranded if the engine had cut out with that start/stop system. I was assured by staff where I bought the car that the computer checks before the engine is cut out that there is enough in the battery to restart. It is also noticeable when having started the car from cold and using heater, heated rear screen etc., that the engine doesn't cut out for some while afterwards. An indication on the dashboard display shows a capital A in a circle with a diagonal cross through it indicating this.
So I believe. However, I don't trust it.
A possible scenario:

Driving with stop-start enabled in traffic jams in winter. After some time, the over-ride comes into play just as you are arriving home.
Your battery is sufficiently charged to allow a cold start in the morning. However, overnight the temperature drops considerably and the battery cools accordingly.
You get up early the next day to drive to work only to find that the battery can't quite cut it, especially as the engine and oil is freezing.

Personally, I'm happy to use the stop-start in the Summer, but I always disable it in the Winter, just in case.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I can get close to 1,000 miles on one tank of fuel. And maybe a 15 minute in and out. So, no, I don't think it is a good range. And, if you drive at 65mph, you get about 150 miles. I don't know how it would fare in stop-start traffic.

I suppose the option for you would be to recharge at a commercial charging station. There are beginning to be more of them about. But how do you occupy your time during the charge period?
That's the thing isn't it.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 08:06 PM

So I believe. However, I don't trust it.
A possible scenario:

Driving with stop-start enabled in traffic jams in winter. After some time, the over-ride comes into play just as you are arriving home.
Your battery is sufficiently charged to allow a cold start in the morning. However, overnight the temperature drops considerably and the battery cools accordingly.
You get up early the next day to drive to work only to find that the battery can't quite cut it, especially as the engine and oil is freezing.

Personally, I'm happy to use the stop-start in the Summer, but I always disable it in the Winter, just in case.
I see what you mean with that scenario, it could happen I guess, although my car is garaged so probably less likely for this to happen than with one parked in the street all night.

Most non-starting faults in winter are usually down to batteries that are on the way out, the cold just finishes them off. That's been my experience with my previous cars.

One other interesting thing though, with these stop/start batteries they are probably heavy duty compared to usual regular batteries, how much are they going to cost when requiring replacement? The same with the starter motors, they also take more wear and tear?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
One other interesting thing though, with these stop/start batteries they are probably heavy duty compared to usual regular batteries, how much are they going to cost when requiring replacement? The same with the starter motors, they also take more wear and tear?
AFAIK, cars with Stop/Start systems just use "regular" batteries and starter motors now enhanceed by modern technology so a battery will last at least six years and a starter motor 500,000 starts (compared to 50,000 on old motors).

As far as cost is concerned, for Ford, for example, batteries and starter motors seem to be around the hundred pound mark.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 08:47 PM

No, they use special stop/start batteries. A quick check on Haldords website lists a regular 096 battery at £92 and a stop/start 096 at £157.
Baz46

08-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
AFAIK, cars with Stop/Start systems just use "regular" batteries and starter motors now enhanceed by modern technology so a battery will last at least six years and a starter motor 500,000 starts (compared to 50,000 on old motors).

As far as cost is concerned, for Ford, for example, batteries and starter motors seem to be around the hundred pound mark.
I hope that is the case as I fully expected those parts to cost far more than those fitted to a regular car without start/stop. My VW Golf has only done 20,000 miles and it's now coming up to six years' old so that will confuse any statistics. Hopefully there are a good number of useful years left in it though. No doubt though those parts will cost more than the comparative Ford parts, that seems to be the way with German-made cars. Comparing my last car, a Ford Focus with the VW Golf though, the build quality of the Golf is far better than the Focus.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
There already are. But your 13A socket can put out just under 4kW. And you would get less than that from the charger bearing in mind that the charger is not 100% efficient so there will be some losses.

The Nissan Leaf E would take 32 hours to charge from a domestic socket. Battery capacity is 62kWHh.
That's an average 24 hour electrical energy consumption of 46.5 kWh.
To put that in context, average household electrical energy consumption is about 13kWh a day.

The range is claimed to be up to 239 miles. That's at a steady 45mph. Increase the speed and the range drops dramatically.
That's going to produce one hell of a large electricity bill at the end of each quarter Besoeker......
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 10:09 AM

But most users won't have to fully recharge their cars every day so the cost saving over petrol will be substantial, as will the loss of tax revenue.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top