Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2019, 02:35 PM

The ONLY True Way to Cook Bacon, Cabbage & Potatoes for St Patrick's Day!

Hi everyone. Get ready for St Patrick's Day again!.

Now, this is the correct way to cook the authentic Irish Bacon, Cabbage and Potatoes for St Patrick's day on 17th March. Any other recipe such as using Corned Beef, or carrots, onions etc, ....sacrilege!! There should only ever be the three ingredients, Bacon, Cabbage & Potatoes.
I only use an Onion or Parsley sauce because HWMO is a Cockney and too set in his way to have the meal dry with a knob of butter.

I've already ordered my Bacon joint from my Butcher, will get a Savoy Cabbage from the market on the morning. I will have my red Desiree potatoes scrubbed and ready to cook in their jackets. (the only difference to that in the video is that I always remove all the stalks from the cabbage. I also use the water that the ham, cabbage and potatoes were cooked in as flavouring for the Parsley or Onion sauce that I make to go with it.(My Irish dad used to just get a mugful of the "soup" and drink it!). Not for me though.

Hope you enjoy the video.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Re: The ONLY True Way to Cook Bacon, Cabbage & Potatoes for St Patrick's Day!

SG, The bacon and cabbage brought back many memories of my childhood. We ate it a lot. The only difference is, my mother who was a rubbish cook didn’t cut the cabbage up, she just tore each leaf off and put them into boiling water.
We used a fish slice to get the cabbage out of the water. We were encouraged to eat the green leaves as she said they were full of iron and better for us.

We ate it with tatties still in their skin!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2019, 04:16 PM

Ooooohhh - Bubble & Squeak - haven't had that in years!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2019, 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=Artangel;1657090]SG, The bacon and cabbage brought back many memories of my childhood. We ate it a lot. The only difference is, my mother who was a rubbish cook didn’t cut the cabbage up, she just tore each leaf off and put them into boiling water.
We used a fish slice to get the cabbage out of the water. We were encouraged to eat the green leaves as she said they were full of iron and better for us.

Neither did my Irish dad Art! He grew his own cabbages and red potatoes in the garden, but we all groaned when he said he would get dinner ready. His way, bless him was to just run the whole cabbage leaves complete with stalks under the cold water tap, and shove it all into the saucepan on top of the Bacon joint until it was boiled to hell. Mum knew better and once he thought he had done his stint in the kitchen, she knew that if any of we seven children were to touch dinner, she had to always secretly remove both the Bacon and Cabbage out of the pot. Put fresh boiling water in for the Bacon, and thoroughly wash each cabbage leaf before cutting it and placing it in the pot for 15 minutes only. She had to also double check all the red potatoes to ensure nothing on them, they had been scrubbed properly and no eyes or anything else on them.

It made me smile when I read your post and remembered.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

09-03-2019, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ooooohhh - Bubble & Squeak - haven't had that in years!!!
LOL Joe, that was usually next day's dinner with the left overs, complete with a couple of sausages, fried egg and lots of slices of bread spread with Kerrygold butter. Yum.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top