Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:33 PM

Re: Travelling Circuses

Originally Posted by Mups ->
With respect Swim, training for Agility is nowt to do with circus animals.

It is the capture and terrible abuse of wild animals, and the cruelty involved that should have been banned years ago.

Many domestic dogs love agility, it's like a game to them, and they go round the obstacles like a thing possessed, barking, tails wagging and happy.

Mostly the only time it can do damage is if the owner starts them too young, but any respectable club wouldn't allow that anyway.
Exactly, in our club the dog must be a year old and hold the Kennel Club Bronze Obedience Certificate. If the dog is not enjoying it then the Trainers soon know and the owner advised to try another class, like Flyball. My own dogs were mixed about Agility, one of my Sheepies didn't enjoy it and I knew it before the lesson was over, the other one loved it and went for several years but just for fun. My Dageus on the other hand thrives on it and can't get enough of it, but come the day he stops enjoying it, that is the day I'll retire him.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Done it !

Wild Animals in Travelling Circuses BANNED in England as from January 2020.

Although there may not be too many of those poor animals left alive now, it does prevent any circuses coming from Europe into this country with their wild animals .
Excellent news. A government minister doing something useful for a change. I do wonder though what will happen to those animals that are left.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Exactly, in our club the dog must be a year old and hold the Kennel Club Bronze Obedience Certificate. If the dog is not enjoying it then the Trainers soon know and the owner advised to try another class, like Flyball. My own dogs were mixed about Agility, one of my Sheepies didn't enjoy it and I knew it before the lesson was over, the other one loved it and went for several years but just for fun. My Dageus on the other hand thrives on it and can't get enough of it, but come the day he stops enjoying it, that is the day I'll retire him.
I love watching Flyball.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A difficult issue.

Animals are not to be abused for our pleasure.

My dogs however have loved obstacle courses and getting wet.

Flatcoats have a natural instinct to jump into any water at all.

They loved it when one of the kids threw a toy into the water in the local brook and they had to swim to get it.

It was brought back straightaway with tails wagging for the next time.

If they are having fun for themselves, I have no problem with it.

My dogs loved dog agility classes.they could not wait to jump into the back of the car for them, tails wagging and went mental when they got there.

I do not consider this to be abuse of animals.
The article is about wild animals.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->

Yes, I agree with you Roxy. I remember our club would not let them start until 12 months too.

At one club I used to belong to, at the beginning and end of the season they used to have an animal chiropractor go in for the agility dogs to have a check over, just to make sure there were no injuries sustained, and were fit to start again.

They go so fast don't they, especially the Collies, and with the jumps, and all the speedy twists and turns injuries can happen.

I couldn't chase a tortoise round the course nowadays.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Excellent news. A government minister doing something useful for a change. I do wonder though what will happen to those animals that are left.

Hmm, yes, that's a thought.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I am so glad they are now, but thought they already were banned.
They can still use dogs & horses though & if treated well & looked after they can enhance a circus. I'm sure these are vetted regularly & the animals looked after, they wouldn't perform if ill treated, not now anyway because the paying public would surly report them.
There is a video on here, Tiffany concerning the horses . Peter Jolly's Circus during the winter months.
I have no idea if anything was done about this or if Peter Jolly has upped his standards.

Unfortunately , what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve over.

https://metro.co.uk/2016/05/03/foota...-tour-5855934/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 08:54 PM

There were still people protesting about that circus last year. I don't know if anything was done about it either, but it's still running.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top