Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Walking in the rain ...

I was looking out of my window this morning at the pouring rain when several teenagers walked past on their way to get the school bus - none of them were wearing raincoats or anything that would protect them from the rain, and it was sheeting down! Consequently, they will be sitting in school all day with very wet clothes.

I just don't understand this at all - why don't their parents make/encourage them to wear macs or something waterproof?
I know it can be a battle at times because I had teenage boys but surely common sense should prevail somewhere along the line?

Or is it just me being 'old fashioned'?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Re: Walking in the rain ...

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I was looking out of my window this morning at the pouring rain when several teenagers walked past on their way to get the school bus - none of them were wearing raincoats or anything that would protect them from the rain, and it was sheeting down! Consequently, they will be sitting in school all day with very wet clothes.

I just don't understand this at all - why don't their parents make/encourage them to wear macs or something waterproof?
I know it can be a battle at times because I had teenage boys but surely common sense should prevail somewhere along the line?

Or is it just me being 'old fashioned'?
My 16 yr old great nephew is the same. He went freezing in winter, when I asked why he'd prefer to be cold and wet he said couldn't be bothered to carry his coat around all day at school as it wouldn't fit in his locker and anyway it's not cool to wear a coat.

Crackers if you ask me but who am I to tell a teenager what to do lol .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:21 AM

It's not `cool` to wear sensible clothes to school - they'd rather get wet than appear to be unfashionable to their friends. I suppose it's the same mentality as young women going out in short skirts and thin clothing when it's freezing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's not `cool` to wear sensible clothes to school - they'd rather get wet than appear to be unfashionable to their friends. I suppose it's the same mentality as young women going out in short skirts and thin clothing when it's freezing.

Exactly, Judd.
That's what I wanted to say but you put it better.
As Queenie said, they do the same in the cold of winter too.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Ha Ha, come on you boring old Farts! Don't you remember when we were young and in with the latest fashion? It didn't matter whether it was raining or freezing, no way was I going to first hide my outfit with a mac or coat when I made my entrance to wherever, so no way in hell was I going to risk a single crease in my immaculately prepared outfit by crushing it with buttons or belts on a mac or coat.

Have you forgotten that youngsters NEVER feel the cold or the rain! Heartache, sadness, anger, happiness, joy, yes, but the cold? Never! Only as one gets older and the skin gets thinner, do we start to act sensibly and put our coats/macs on.

Now we all sound like our Mums!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:32 AM

When I was at school, if we arrived soaking wet we were questioned as to why we had got so wet. We were also made to wear our science overalls whilst our uniforms dried so we all learned that wearing a Mac was the best option!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ha Ha, come on you boring old Farts! Don't you remember when we were young and in with the latest fashion? It didn't matter whether it was raining or freezing, no way was I going to first hide my outfit with a mac or coat when I made my entrance to wherever, so no way in hell was I going to risk a single crease in my immaculately prepared outfit by crushing it with buttons or belts on a mac or coat.

Now we all sound like our Mums!!

Hi Shroppy, I must have been born a boring auld fart them, cos I wouldn't have been allowed to go to school without dressing appropriately.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Honestly, can teenagers do anything right in older people’s eyes? They get knocked back for nearly everything.

We probably did worse things than they do these days. Leave em be, they are young and learning about life.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi Shroppy, I must have been born a boring auld fart them, cos I wouldn't have been allowed to go to school without dressing appropriately.

Mups, You’re talking about a time that was over 60 years ago. It’s a different time now!

As a teenager, l hardly ever wore a coat. I don’t even like them now!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2019, 10:41 AM

If they were on their phones, they probably didn't notice.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top