Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:06 PM

Can anyone tell me what this plant is, please.

Hi, I wonder if anyone here can help. My brother bought me a plant en-route back from Hereford, only for me to find there was no card with it to tell me what it is! and he can't remember. I've looked online and in my gardening book of flowers but just can't seem to find it. I love this plant and would love to get another one if I can just find out what it is.
I've taken a photo of it, it has very dark waxy leaves, where the water seems to stay on them when watered.

Goodness, it's not much to go on, but I'm hoping from the photos, someone might recognise what plant it is.

Thanks very much in advance.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_135018 (2).jpg
Views:	188
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	10266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_135216 (2).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	10267  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:10 PM

Re: Can anyone tell me what this plant is, please.

Could be an Oxalis (False shamrock)
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:23 PM

Oohh, it looks very much like it LD. Oxalis {false shamrock). I will find out when I go to the garden centre. It does look the same though with its purple waxy leaves. Thank you very much. Life saver!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oohh, it looks very much like it LD. Oxalis {false shamrock). I will find out when I go to the garden centre. It does look the same though with its purple waxy leaves. Thank you very much. Life saver!
Glad to be of service ma'am.

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 05:19 PM

If it's not what LD thinks it is, then Google Smoke Bush. It's very like one I used to have...….Just a thought.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

16-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Thanks Roxy. It certainly looks very similar, but after looking it up online, I'm convinced its the false shamrock plant.

xx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Could be an Oxalis (False shamrock)

I agree.
Here's some info about it:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/63222/...acea-i/details
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2019, 11:12 PM

There's a free ap you can download on your phone, called PlantNet If you take a photo of a plant and import it into the ap, it will tell you what it is and how to plant it!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

17-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Thankyou for that info Mups, and thank you Lindyloo. I will certainly download that app to my phone. It sounds invaluable.

xx

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top