Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Re: Luggage and Packing

Thinking on all the good advice here, I have decided to:

Take one large checked bag and have is stored for the cruise. That means most traveling around Italy light as a feather with only with a carry on sized bag and my weekend. I've reduced my packing by creating a spreadsheet with a plan of what to wear, when laundry will be available, etc. I went full nerd on this .

Purchase a G-ro suitcase that is black (less likely to show scuffs and grease) with bright aqua, axleless wheels. I'll decorate it like a Christmas tree .

Click image for larger version

Name:	GRO.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	10336

Spend every penny I have on Prada, Gucci, Dolce and Gabanna when I get there. You only live once, right! And plastic is free!*.

Thanks for the links, Bruce. I share your penchant for organization - a must with me is a hanging cosmetic bag because of all of the pouches and zippered pockets it has. It looks like you have made good investments that are giving you a good return.

*Haha, just kidding . I'd much rather do-see these one-in-a-lifetime locales than shop, but will pack lightly and purchase in a pinch. My daughter will want to do enough shopping for the both of us.

Thanks, everyone!

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Travelling with offspring is very different to travelling just as a couple or on a Cruise.

Ignore Realist and his conspiracy theories, he does not have kids.
The thing is Surfermom IS going on a cruise and her "kid" is not a kid but a very grown up girl. But rant on anyway . . . .
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 07:51 PM

I travelled a lot on business. I had one bag with a shoulder strap in the bottom of my wardrobe, packed and ready to go. Spare everything essential.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2019, 09:12 PM

Before the days of weight limits, I had the idea of packing everything from two suitcases into one big one. I laughed as I watched one of the baggage handlers struggling to put it (throw it) on the plane but when we arrived at the hotel, I flipped it up onto the case stand and injured my shoulder. The pain lasted the whole of the holiday and more.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Before the days of weight limits, I had the idea of packing everything from two suitcases into one big one. I laughed as I watched one of the baggage handlers struggling to put it (throw it) on the plane but when we arrived at the hotel, I flipped it up onto the case stand and injured my shoulder. The pain lasted the whole of the holiday and more.
Ouch, instant karma of the worst sort . Did you have a dead body in there or something?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

23-07-2019, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I travelled a lot on business. I had one bag with a shoulder strap in the bottom of my wardrobe, packed and ready to go. Spare everything essential.
That's brilliant! I am sure you never forgot anything.

Funny, but for years I carried my passport with me everywhere I went. I loved the feeling of being able to go anywhere in a moment's notice.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 07:02 AM

I now roll everything tightly rather than try and fold them, it takes up less space and doesn't crease as much. Also, as well as one of those rubbish tiny padlocks I also use cable ties to secure the zips. They can't be opened behind the scenes to pilfer stuff - well, not without difficulty. Just remember to bring scissors to undo them when you arrive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Purchase a G-ro suitcase that is black (less likely to show scuffs and grease) with bright aqua, axleless wheels. I'll decorate it like a Christmas tree .

Attachment 10336

one!
That is one hell of a suitcase. Plenty of pockets. Do like the wheels - can you get replacements?

I must say if it was mine because it is black I would tape over all the zips and go mad with a spray can or two of the brightest flouescent paint I could find. I always did like psychedelic art and bugger the scuffs and grease - I want to see it when it pops off the carousel
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Ouch, instant karma of the worst sort . Did you have a dead body in there or something?
No just Mrs LD's stuff and my one pair of shorts.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

23-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
No just Mrs LD's stuff and my one pair of shorts.
Thus proving the old adage, "Women are the picture while men are the frame."

I hope you packed the good pair.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top