Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 12:32 PM

The Wee Birds.

Since I got the big Pest Off Feeders the wee birds have returned and are having a grand time to themselves. The pesky Magpies and Crows have vanished. But they are ripping through the food at a hell of a rate, I'm filling the food up every week. Is anyone else finding their food going down at a fair rate? The big saucer on the ground is full of water and they drink and have a splash around too.

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Re: The Wee Birds.

We are plagued with Rooks, Magpies & Jackdaws here, but they can't get into my bird table, because there is wire mesh around it & only the small birds can get in. The Starlings can too, but they have to squash themselves through the squares of mesh & not all manage it. I put food on the bird table every day I am home. I also rinse fill up all the water pots.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	10353  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
We are plagued with Rooks, Magpies & Jackdaws here, but they can't get into my bird table, because there is wire mesh around it & only the small birds can get in. The Starlings can too, but they have to squash themselves through the squares of mesh & not all manage it. I put food on the bird table every day I am home. I also rinse fill up all the water pots.
We get a lot of those in the garden too and they just hoover up any bird food I put down.

I have two hanging feeders which I fill up about every two days and I also throw a handful of meal worms down for the ground feeders too. That lasts about an hour or 5 minutes if the cuckoo is around.

Saw a lovely Goldfinch yesterday too.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We get a lot of those in the garden too and they just hoover up any bird food I put down.

I have two hanging feeders which I fill up about every two days and I also throw a handful of meal worms down for the ground feeders too. That lasts about an hour or 5 minutes if the cuckoo is around.

Saw a lovely Goldfinch yesterday too.
I think those are nesting nearby, as one, the male sits on the TV aerial on the roof singing his head off. No idea where the nest is though.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 10:25 AM

We got rid of our bird table when it started to attract the rats. I cannot abide those verminous creatures, a good rat is a dead one.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

26-07-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We got rid of our bird table when it started to attract the rats. I cannot abide those verminous creatures, a good rat is a dead one.
We get rats also & I did stop feeding the birds for several months, then started again with small amounts of food & so far haven't seen a rat, yet, if they come back I'll stop feeding the birds again.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I like the rooks and Jackdaws they are amusing to watch .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I like the rooks and Jackdaws they are amusing to watch .
Yes they are and noisy too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-07-2019, 01:09 PM

We have a Cuckoo who is being parented by a Blackbird, The Cuckoo is much bigger now than the Blackbird but it still just stands there with its beak open squawking for food which the Blackbird has to provide. I have seen him foraging for himself so he is capable of it but prefers to stand there shouting his his off. I feels sorry for the Blackbird, he never stops.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
We have one of these (it's called a squirrel buster) and no squirrel or rat can get close. Only small birds can access the feed :

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top