Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:20 PM

Re: Pensioner Poverty

I had a private pension with that wonderful thing called hindsight i would not have had one as in the good bad old days if you changed job you could not take it with you

Now it is a lot easier to transfer your pension Pot

What I tell all the younger generation of our family is buy property it is a far better way to accumulate money
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:26 PM

What worries me with private pensions is how many people will be left behind in the future, it's bad enough now but anyone unable to work in jobs that pay a lot more than NMW will be dooming themselves to a miserable retirement. Looking at family down the road from us, couple with 4 children, adopted disabled children, they are wonderful people don't care about money it's all about loving those kids that were thrown away by society. They won't ever earn enough to save neither will the children. They aren't lone a lot of people never earn enough to live let alone save.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Not all jobs or all employers had pension schemes and even those that did quite often took 'pension holidays' from the fund or plundered the pension funds for other nefarious purposes - remember Robert Maxwell???
There was always an option to take a personal pension, rather than a works pension and banks offered advice to anyone who didn't have a works pension fund...... customers just needed to ask & the advice was free.

I am well aware that Maxwell did that, but pension funds should have been legally tied up to prevent that happening....most were!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
There was always an option to take a personal pension, rather than a works pension and banks offered advice to anyone who didn't have a works pension fund...... customers just needed to ask & the advice was free.

I am well aware that Maxwell did that, but pension funds should have been legally tied up to prevent that happening....most were!
But that still assumes people were earning enough to do that. If we had gone to the bank manager I think he might have asked us to clear our over draft before taking out a pension plan. Luckily we don't have one now but that's more luck than judgement as we have had a bit of a rocky year.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:31 PM

No they weren't!!! - not until the Maxwell scandal, which then forced the Government to pursue legislation to regulate pension funds.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-12-2018, 02:34 PM

What has always puzzled me about pensions is how they sell them on to other companies, each time a bit less left in the pot for the saver. Completely doesn't make any sense at all. I think my husbands pot has been sold 14 times now, I lose track who has it now, but each time they send a pension forecast just that bit less than the last one.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No they weren't!!! - not until the Maxwell scandal, which then forced the Government to pursue legislation to regulate pension funds.
I am aware of that, but most companies were not as evil and greedy as Maxwell!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

11-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What has always puzzled me about pensions is how they sell them on to other companies, each time a bit less left in the pot for the saver. Completely doesn't make any sense at all. I think my husbands pot has been sold 14 times now, I lose track who has it now, but each time they send a pension forecast just that bit less than the last one.
Although most pensions are put into fairly secure investments, if the investments don't bring the expected return, their value can reduce a little.
If we were all clever enough and had the time to deal with our own investments, we could possible make a little more money.....but then we wouldn't have the time to go to work!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Hi

I was brought up with the ethos no bugga will look after you, you have to do it yourself.

Grandad that was, very true words.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

11-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Although most pensions are put into fairly secure investments, if the investments don't bring the expected return, their value can reduce a little.
If we were all clever enough and had the time to deal with our own investments, we could possible make a little more money.....but then we wouldn't have the time to go to work!
Reduce a little ? we were given to understand it could grow to replace the state pension but £600 a year is all it's worth now. Actually that's an optimistic projection by time he retires it'll be a lot less than that assuming he lives to collect it of course.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top