Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Re: Pensioner Poverty

Because of the 'Old Days' when Wages were very low and massive unemployment and folks eat bread and dripping and sops many pensioners think they have "Never had it so good"

It is all realative to the economic climate.

With the very high cost of living including food the State Pension is not enugh to live on and thousands simply could not afford to pay into a works pension and many were unemployed as well.
Thousands of old people still die of hypothermia daily in the cold winter months, as they can not afford to heat their homes. The Winter Fuel allowance does help but in UK there are many cold months.

This is a Country where the Goverments encourage Billionaires to avoid paying income tax by registering their Companies abroad, and it certainely prefers to give £Billions in Foreign Aid to Countries who squander it on people who do not deserve it, and non essentials as well.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Because of the 'Old Days' when Wages were very low and massive unemployment and folks eat bread and dripping and sops many pensioners think they have "Never had it so good"

It is all realative to the economic climate.

With the very high cost of living including food the State Pension is not enugh to live on and thousands simply could not afford to pay into a works pension and many were unemployed as well.
Thousands of old people still die of hypothermia daily in the cold winter months, as they can not afford to heat their homes. The Winter Fuel allowance does help but in UK there are many cold months.

This is a Country where the Goverments encourage Billionaires to avoid paying income tax by registering their Companies abroad, and it certainely prefers to give £Billions in Foreign Aid to Countries who squander it on people who do not deserve it, and non essentials as well.

Not forgetting that this barsteward scumbag 'nasty party' government reduced the upper rates of income tax, and reduced other taxes for the richest section of our society whilst at the same time penalising those at the lower end.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:08 PM

Many countries in Europe have higher taxes .
To have good pensions and benefits everyone will have to pay higher taxes.
I honestly don't know how people on the state pension can exist .
Even if they own their own home mortgage free the council tax will take a large chunk of it .
If they are renting goodness only knows how they manage .
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Many countries in Europe have higher taxes .
To have good pensions and benefits everyone will have to pay higher taxes.
I honestly don't know how people on the state pension can exist .
Even if they own their own home mortgage free the council tax will take a large chunk of it .
If they are renting goodness only knows how they manage .

We survive - just!!!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
We survive - just!!!
Yes and I live and also very well on my State pension which topped up with my private pension it gives me £700 a month.( workers are taxed on over 12K to start paying tax)

I run a car.

Have had 3 forigen holidays this year.(not Belfast)

I pay my Council Tax which is fair but also thought the poll tax under Maggie was a lot fairer.

More to the point Joe I survive very well on my income from the pension I receive.

Also my house is worth £400k if I drop dead it goes to my daughter, if I am put in a home after say a stroke the house is sold to pay for my care and my daughter gets nothing.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

12-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Yes and I live and also very well on my State pension which topped up with my private pension it gives me £700 a month.( workers are taxed on over 12K to start paying tax)

I run a car.

Have had 3 forigen holidays this year.(not Belfast)

I pay my Council Tax which is fair but also thought the poll tax under Maggie was a lot fairer.

More to the point Joe I survive very well on my income from the pension I receive.

Also my house is worth £400k if I drop dead it goes to my daughter, if I am put in a home after say a stroke the house is sold to pay for my care and my daughter gets nothing.

Well bully for you, some of us don't have so much income to live on.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Well bully for you, some of us don't have so much income to live on.
When are you flying out to Belfast again to meet your IRA buddies?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2018, 09:19 PM

This forum is getting quite a few boastful posts these days, when did it become OK to show off how much better off you are than others, it's a nasty trait IMO
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
This forum is getting quite a few boastful posts these days, when did it become OK to show off how much better off you are than others, it's a nasty trait IMO
I don't think Galty was boasting Julie, ,he was merely pointing out how easy it is for him to manage on his pensions!
If everybody had put 1% of their income ( that is just £1 in every £100 the earned) into providing for their old age there would be very few pensioners in poverty.
We all have to live according to our means and handle money wisely, but they need to start providing for a personal pension at a young age( usually about 21). It isn't about how much money we have, it is about how much we spend on things we don't really need.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I don't think Galty was boasting Julie, ,he was merely pointing out how easy it is for him to manage on his pensions!
If everybody had put 1% of their income ( that is just £1 in every £100 the earned) into providing for their old age there would be very few pensioners in poverty.
We all have to live according to our means and handle money wisely, but they need to start providing for a personal pension at a young age( usually about 21). It isn't about how much money we have, it is about how much we spend on things we don't really need.
Hi

Exactly right Twinks.

I started putting money in additional pensions when I was 21.

It did mean I did not have as much money to spend as those who didn't but I am happy I did.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top