Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Re: Do you think a study of psychology is useful?

I don't give a rats tuchus why people do things any more.

All I want to know is what they've done or doing, and what the impact was or is likely to be on me.
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 10:43 PM

Can somebody give this guy some validation so he stops following me?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2019, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by precious ->
ok thanks keeze
have to say im both envious and impressed by the blues band hobby. thats cool. any leo kottke numbers? robert johnsons crossroads? I really should have learnt bottleneck as i love the sound. im a big fan of ry cooder.
so you majored in psychology? to be able and qualified to give CBT. i kind of feel that i missed my vocation and should have studied psychology. ive studied some counselling only a few years ago at Uni. Didnt turn that into a job unfort. regrets regrets ...
No, as I have said a number of times on this site to those who have asked (Not sure if you're asking but..) I did a degree in social work and post grad in applied psych. My registration for both has lapsed as I have been retired for a few years. I was therefore qualified as a counsellor and I was registered as such. Further to that I was entitled to use various practice modalities. INcluding CBT. The ethical base from which a counsellor works only entitles one to use modalities for which they have undergone training in. Which I did. I don't really want to go into long histrionics or discussions about it beyond generic comments about the profession, it's value and efficacy - which was your original question so I don't understand what you mean when you say your thread was hijacked. But whatever. YOu do/ study whatever you want. That's your business. About slide.I use a metal slide..sounds better and sharper. I have a Gibson resonator with a pickup and passac. I also have a Fender Stratocaster (Genuine American made standard) and a Marshall valvestate 100 which I share with my son. He is a guitarist also. Ry Cooder is one of the greats yes. I also love Bonnie Raitt's style. Very neat and exact. Keith Richards is another one of my favourites. What he doesn't know about blues is not worth knowing and he is a great guy. Read his book "Life" if you want some good down home psychology.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keef..jpg
Views:	51
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	10622  
precious
Brisbane Australia
precious is male  precious has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
No, as I have said a number of times on this site to those who have asked (Not sure if you're asking but..) I did a degree in social work and post grad in applied psych. My registration for both has lapsed as I have been retired for a few years. I was therefore qualified as a counsellor and I was registered as such. Further to that I was entitled to use various practice modalities. INcluding CBT. The ethical base from which a counsellor works only entitles one to use modalities for which they have undergone training in. Which I did. I don't really want to go into long histrionics or discussions about it beyond generic comments about the profession, it's value and efficacy - which was your original question so I don't understand what you mean when you say your thread was hijacked. But whatever. YOu do/ study whatever you want. That's your business. About slide.I use a metal slide..sounds better and sharper. I have a Gibson resonator with a pickup and passac. I also have a Fender Stratocaster (Genuine American made standard) and a Marshall valvestate 100 which I share with my son. He is a guitarist also. Ry Cooder is one of the greats yes. I also love Bonnie Raitt's style. Very neat and exact. Keith Richards is another one of my favourites. What he doesn't know about blues is not worth knowing and he is a great guy. Read his book "Life" if you want some good down home psychology.

OK. sorry you get asked so often. Social work then. yeah ive met quite a few social workers when doing support work with them. Some very competent people. Very pragmatic thinkers. I notice too that with their responsibility came a lot of power over peoples' lives. making big decisions that could affect their accommodation and other things.

Can I watch you play on youtube? your band? One tune I would love to be able to play is
Vigilante Man by Ry Cooder. The bottleneck on that is awesome.
thanks keezoy. don't feel you have to do detailed replies to me.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 12:34 AM

Haven't got anything on youtube. I have some recordings.I would happily put them here but not sure how to. Social work to me was never about having power over people's lives. MOre like helping them gain power over their own lives. I wasn't working as a social worker at corrective services. I had power over people's lives there. I think it used it wisely.
precious
Brisbane Australia

05-09-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Haven't got anything on youtube. I have some recordings.I would happily put them here but not sure how to. Social work to me was never about having power over people's lives. MOre like helping them gain power over their own lives. I wasn't working as a social worker at corrective services. I had power over people's lives there. I think it used it wisely.
of course you used it wisely. Your professionalism is evident as it leaks through to your posts here.
some social workers had power over us support workers too.
when they gave a directive we were supposed to follow without question.
I discovered in teaching that power did corrupt me. I expected kids to respect me without trying to earn it. And I was often a nervous wreck anyway I did them a favour b quitting.
OK no dramas about the youtube clip. I think we might be on a similar wavelength musically.
About the easiest one for me to do fingerstyle is the MASH
theme . Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is beyond me but Im still trying to get there.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by precious ->
Some people think that psychology is a waste of time. I'm not one of those people.
ive learnt a lot studying:

Freud
Jung
Carl Rogers

There are more of course. i'm just giving a few examples.
I don't pretend to be an expert .........
But you are pretending .....
precious
Brisbane Australia

05-09-2019, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
But you are pretending .....
Im trying to avoid conflict here Muddy. I would rank your comment as inflammatory. maybe you wouldn't . You seem to make assertions as if they are fact. That's quite dogmatic and arrogant if you don't mind me saying.
lets work towards peace together. I'm all for love and tolerance. How about you?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2019, 03:01 AM

Are you running for Miss World ?
precious
Brisbane Australia

05-09-2019, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Are you running for Miss World ?
I'm still in the conversation. You do have some ability to wind up I admit. I'm getting used to the insults here. So go ahead.
Still I would prefer us to stay on topic. Maybe the mods would too I imagine.
what do you think of Freud or Jung Muddy?

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top