Join for free
Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Re: Oh No! Chuck Berry Has Died...

His "crimes" were not straightforward sexual abuse. He was imprisoned for violation of the "Mann Act" -
The Mann Act is the common name for a piece of federal legislation originally known as the United States White-Slave Traffic Act of 1910. Though intended as a tool for cracking down on organized prostitution, the vague language of the Mann Act regarding the transportation of women for “immoral purposes” rendered its provisions broadly unenforceable. It has been selectively applied in various high-profile cases over time, however—most famously in Berry’s and in that of the heavyweight boxing great Jack Johnson.
In Berry’s case, the Mann Act charges stemmed from what Berry contended was his offer of legitimate employment in his St. Louis nightclub to a girl he had met in a bar in Juarez, Mexico. The girl, Janice Escalanti, although only 14 at the time they met was also a prostitute. Whether Berry knew either her age and/or her profession is not clear. He offered her a job as a hatcheck girl in his nightclub in St. Louis and gave her a lift to the club (transporting her across state lines - which was the actual crime prosecuted - nothing to do with sexual abuse as such). Obviously things didn't work out as he sacked her after only three weeks. Shortly after being sacked, Escalanti was arrested by St. Louis police for prostitution and Berry was arrested two days later in 1959.
The Mann Act was notorious as it was used on several occasions to prosecute and imprison black performers and sportsmen - Berry and the boxer Jack Johnson being the most prominent. Berry was found guilty of the technical crime of transporting a prostitute across state lines, not for sexual abuse of a minor. No-one but Berry and the girl knew the truth of the situation, so to conclude that he was a "sick pervert" is perhaps a bit over the top.
It was interesting that Berry's wife (who he remained married to for 68 years) always stood by him and denied any wrongdoing on his part.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanks for that info Mick. That's the first I've heard about any of that.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Excuses, excuses. Unfortunately some women will stand by their husbands even though they are evil perverts, even when they have abused their own children. On the Jeremy Kyle show this morning there was a woman who had been seriously sexually abused by her father during her childhood. He had been sent down for it. Her mother had disowned her for making it public!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Now I understand you more.....Jeremy Kyle?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Now I understand you more.....Jeremy Kyle?
My husband thinks I am crazy, and does not approve! I watch the show out of horrific fascination because I find it so hard to believe that most of the people featured on it actually exist in real life. I wonder if they are really actors, because it is difficult to understand how real people can make such complete idiots of themselves for the entertainment of the public!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That matters not, it is their crimes that define them not their art!

Rolf Harris is a good artist, but he is a sick pervert and that is what defines him.

Rolf Harris is notagreat artist and while he's not a sterling character he's not the worst of his kind as perverts go I supose.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Rolf Harris is notagreat artist
I agree ..... he is a brilliant, superb, creative artist.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

20-03-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Rolf Harris is notagreat artist and while he's not a sterling character he's not the worst of his kind as perverts go I supose.
He sexually abused a seven year old girl, that puts him in the serious pervert category!

For far too long paedophiles have got away with it, especially if they are celebs like the evil Saville. Many people in the media knew he was abusing children and others, but they kept quiet about it and he got away with it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Thanks for that info Mick. That's the first I've heard about any of that.
x2 thanks Mick
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Excuses, excuses. Unfortunately some women will stand by their husbands even though they are evil perverts, even when they have abused their own children.
..and some people will unfortunately think the worst of everybody on the basis of no evidence whatever.

Page 6 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top