Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Re: The Curse of the Mobile Phone

I have a mobile phone, but I keep it in the car, for emergencies only.

My stepdaughter made a telling comment to me a few days ago, saying that mobile texting in particular does nothing for young ones' spelling and it tends to take away the art of a face to face conversation, where you can actually 'read' an expression. From my old fogey's viewpoint, I tend to agree with her.

Gwyn
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 10:57 PM

Oops, Bruce - we collided in posting.

I still have a land-line, which at +/- £20 per month (year's rental paid in advance), I don't think is bad. The only excess charges I incur is if I phone a mobile, or one of the ones not covered by my provider. One of my very close friends doesn't have a land-line, only a mobile, so it costs me to phone her.

Gwyn
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
Oops, Bruce - we collided in posting.

I still have a land-line, which at +/- £20 per month (year's rental paid in advance), I don't think is bad. The only excess charges I incur is if I phone a mobile, or one of the ones not covered by my provider. One of my very close friends doesn't have a land-line, only a mobile, so it costs me to phone her.

Gwyn

Actually that makes my point perfectly - £20 per month is $40 - for marginally less than that you can get a SIM card with unlimited calls and the convenience of a phone that is with you always and has Internet included. Ditch the fixed line, only use a mobile and you can phone your friend for free.

The Aldi Mobile Unlimited is only $35 a month

Don't forget you also save the additional cost of keeping credit on a mobile you never use.
AliceB
Cheshire

10-11-2013, 11:30 PM

Yes, she can phone me for free (as part of her package) - it doesn't work the other way though!

Gwyn
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2013, 11:50 PM

You can't ditch your land line if you're not in a wi fi hotspot though, we can't get on the internet unless we have broadband so we're stuck with it. I've just changed from bt to talktalk & saved about £20 a month, could have got it cheaper but got fed up trying. My mobile is with O2 & costs £10 to top up with pay as you go & I refuse to top up more than once a month, used to have a monthly tarrif of £10 but got charged for texting other networks, it seems dear to me though! I think Tesco have a good deal as you can top up £5 at a time (I think) and they give you free stuff. But, I hate this unlocking performance, so when my 2nd hand phone packs up (any day now)I may get one from there, but only if it has a good camera.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It drives me up the wall when I come across fellow seniors who have a mobile phone but never turn it on as it is just for 'emergencies' because it is so expensive.

When you ask them how much their home phone bill is you can bet it is $35 a month or more. Then you explain to them that for less money they could get rid of their home phone (or get the free inContact service) and have unlimited mobile phone calls and the internet, all the services and convenience that the mobile services provide. Some are now changing over.

A number express the fear than in an emergency they think the fixed line is more reliable but then realise that their phone actually needs mains power to operate (not always true) but anyway fixed lines no longer use dedicated exchange equipment and are subject to similar over loading as the mobile network.

If it weren't for my ADSL Internet I would have ditched the fixed line years ago (roll on the NBN). All my calls are made from my mobile. None of my kids have a fixed line and rely entirely on their mobile phone and, like most seniors, rely on the mobile network for their internet connection too.

I would have thought the situation in the UK, where even local calls are timed, was even more conducive to having a mobile phone only. Have any of you ditched your fixed line entirely?
Bruce my BT landline is £11.75 a month (paid a year in advance) it provides my internet connection and that is another £5 a month plus calls to my service provider. I make about one call a week , you can't get much cheaper than that My landline calls are free in the evening and at weekends .

I would never get rid of my landline, it is a lifeline when the electricity goes off, a mobile isn't much use if you can't charge it up.

My electricity was off for 4 days one winter.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2013, 06:05 AM

I use mine for making phone calls from home quite a bit, it's cheaper than using my landline.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2013, 10:38 AM

I don't use my mobile a lot. If I lost it tomorrow I wouldn't be bothered. I have a pay as you go. I put £15 on it about every 4-6 months and that's it. Have to laugh though because I do put £15 on they give me 500 free texts. Only trouble is I only have about 14 days to use them. I don't do 500 text in 6 months
I do have a camera on mine and have put my cats and grandkids on it so when I go away they come with me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2013, 10:52 AM

I put £2 on mine last year still have £1.89 to spend. We keep our land line for the internet and need it for TV too.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
A MicKey button is a feeding tube Twizard.
Thanks Pats
My apologies for not explaining.
I ought to say that his 'mickey button' pulled out when he was crawling across the floor and dragging the tube with him..he could crawl at speed sometimes
It fits like an old fashioned bayonet fitting on a light bulb and he pulled the flange right out of his stomach.
Thank goodness for the mobile, we 'phoned mum straight away, we panicked, she was quite calm

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top