Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:36 PM

Re: Giving up Smoking

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I gave up over 20 years ago, just stopped. I could quite easily start again even now, can't stand the smell of stale tobacco on people but the smoke is very enticing!
Wow..20 years ago..
I know it never goes away..
We know it is bad for our health..and will probably eventually kill us..
But I love smoking..

When I gave up..I had cold after cold..never felt so ill...
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Here we go again OTT statements especially from ex smokers - how very boring !
Why do you say I was being OTT? Unfortunately it is a fact, smokers carry the stale fag smell with them but cannot smell it themselves because they are used to it. Our nasal responders will not respond to a smell after a few minutes, and so we cease to notice 'constant' smells. Have you never noticed that a short while after applying a perfume, you can no longer smell it? This is because your receptors ignore it and not because it has faded.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
This is because your receptors ignore it and not because it has faded.
Do your ''receptors'' pick up exhaust fumes from cars??

Maybe we should colour them purple..and then you can see what you are really breathing in..
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 02:58 PM

I am fully aware of exhaust fumes and their dangers, but there again I do not stand on street corners deliberately breathing them in for pleasure.

I know that ex-smokers are usually the most vociferous in their antipathy towards smokers, but that is probably because having released themselves from the clutches of the dreaded weed they want the same release for others.

And I have just thought of an, albeit annoying, comparison, 'we are a bit like those extremely frustratingly annoying acolytes who knock the door, present a huge cheerful smile, and offer you 'good news' .
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
Not much pollution..the place stinks!!
It is like a building site..
Went to the beach with the intention of swimming until I saw used sanitary towels and condoms floating round in the sea!!
I've heard it all before regarding Malta but it wasn't that bad when I was last there - some British beaches are probably as bad or worse in my opinion.

My old mate Sid, a cockney BBC driver always used to say "Malta? It's a s**t hole!" and I always countered that with "Heard any English on the Mile End Road lately Sid?!" - works for me!

Sorry lilac if your experience of Malta was so negative but to me it's my home so say what you will!

Gotta tell you all this: - When we first went to Malta on our honeymoon in 1996 we were trying to find the place where I was actually born.

We were in Mdina in a small café when I asked a local girl.
It turned out she was born where I was too so she pointed out where M'Tarfa was and where the old hospital was.

We walked up there and weren't sure which way was the village centre but there was an old local sat by the kerb so I asked him.

In typical Maltese style he asked why I wanted to know so I told him - I was born here.

Immediately his face lit up and he said "Welcome home!"

Then he told me that he, and many other Maltese had gone to Australia to work and make some money but "all those born here come back as Malta's our home" he said.

I've never, EVER felt so welcome and at home as I have in Malta lilac and for me Malta is still my home and I'll go back some time before I die because I want to and I just feel that I HAVE to! stevmk2
lilac
West yorks uk

07-06-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I am fully aware of exhaust fumes and their dangers, but there again I do not stand on street corners deliberately breathing them in for pleasure.
You breathe them in..every time you leave the house..

When was the last time you were forced to breathe in second hand smoke??
lilac
West yorks uk

07-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've heard it all before regarding Malta but it wasn't that bad when I was last there - some British beaches are probably as bad or worse in my opinion.

My old mate Sid, a cockney BBC driver always used to say "Malta? It's a s**t hole!" and I always countered that with "Heard any English on the Mile End Road lately Sid?!" - works for me!

Sorry lilac if your experience of Malta was so negative but to me it's my home so say what you will!

Gotta tell you all this: - When we first went to Malta on our honeymoon in 1996 we were trying to find the place where I was actually born.

We were in Mdina in a small café when I asked a local girl.
It turned out she was born where I was too so she pointed out where M'Tarfa was and where the old hospital was.

We walked up there and weren't sure which way was the village centre but there was an old local sat by the kerb so I asked him.

In typical Maltese style he asked why I wanted to know so I told him - I was born here.

Immediately his face lit up and he said "Welcome home!"

Then he told me that he, and many other Maltese had gone to Australia to work and make some money but "all those born here come back as Malta's our home" he said.

I've never, EVER felt so welcome and at home as I have in Malta lilac and for me Malta is still my home and I'll go back some time before I die because I want to and I just feel that I HAVE to! stevmk2
I never meant to take that away from you SteveK..my partner was born in Malaya..a military family..he does not feel the need to go back..

But the most beautiful thing I ever heard was in Mdina..(thank you for correcting me..)

There was a stone bench outside one of the monasteries..and I just sat there listening to the monks chanting..magical!!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2014, 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=daisymay;474382]
Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I could have sworn I'd put a thread up about this before but I can't actually find it so apologies if it's a duplicate.
so I decided to cut out the tobacco and bought a little electronic vaporiser that burns an oil - I bought Strawberry Mint with no nicotine - and it's been pretty good.
Just a question about these, what is the legislation on where the can be used? I ask because on the bus yesterday there was this rather shall we say 'insalubrious' looking character constantly puffing away on one, while sitting immediately below a no smoking sign. And am presuming it was one with nicotine as there was visible (smoke?)vapour as he exhaled, and a slight smell of ciggy.
Sorry daisymay - didn't see your post 'til just now.

My vaporiser gives visible "smoke" too, regardless of whether it has a nicotine e-liquid in it or not.

It's just as a placebo effect for us smokers trying to quit, - as if you are smoking a fag but it contains no tar or any other nasty additives, apart from those with nicotine, which is a toxic chemical but actually is used in bug sprays too and far higher concentrations in crop-spraying!

I personally feel the knee-jerk bad-for-your-health reaction to e-cigs is the work of the powerful tobacco lobby because the "smoke" is harmless vapour.

Even if you consider the nicotine in the vapour it's a tiny, tiny possibility that anyone nearby will ever suffer any ill effects from inhaling that vapour!

I'll give you an example: - You would, no doubt, have no qualms whatsoever walking alongside a busy road, despite the fact that you are inhaling diesel soot, and various toxic hydrocarbons etcetera so why would you get into hysterics about harmful effects of e-cigs? stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

07-06-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
I never meant to take that away from you SteveK..my partner was born in Malaya..a military family..he does not feel the need to go back..
But the most beautiful thing I ever heard was in Mdina..(thank you for correcting me..)
There was a stone bench outside one of the monasteries..and I just sat there listening to the monks chanting..magical!!
Mdina,The Silent City lilac - there's a very strong sensation of peace and security there and it's not just the Maltese that feel it - you did too.

It's pronounced Imdina, just as my home town of M'Tarfa is pronounced Imtarfa! stevmk2
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

07-06-2014, 03:31 PM

See, here in the valleys, a busy road is usually one with a vehicle maybe every twenty minutes, plenty of time for fumes it dissipate. Besides it is not only the 'second hand smoke' breathed in (and to be honest I have always been sceptical about claims concerning this), but what does annoy is the way this smoke clings to my clothes and hair, and thus pollutes me.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top