Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Quarter of people living with HIV in the UK are over 50

The older generation of people with HIV need better support to keep them well, nurses say.

About a quarter of the 100,000 people with HIV in the UK are aged over 50.

Two-thirds of these are on treatment for other long-term conditions - twice the rate for the general population, Terrence Higgins Trust data shows.
Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27856248

Shows how far we have come with treatment, but worrying if health services are not adequately looking after those who might be considered more vulnerable.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 12:10 PM

Re: Quarter of people living with HIV in the UK are over 50

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Video: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27856248
Shows how far we have come with treatment, but worrying if health services are not adequately looking after those who might be considered more vulnerable.
Sorry but I think you could probably find similar failings for all other life-threatening conditions for the over-50s Azz.

To me, there also seems to be an increasing resentment towards the older generations as well as declining health services, as if we are somehow to blame for all the problems highlighted since the start of this government crackdown and austerity measures on public spending.

Some younger generations are openly hostile these days too and seem to believe that we're all well-off. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Sorry but I think you could probably find similar failings for all other life-threatening conditions for the over-50s Azz.

To me, there also seems to be an increasing resentment towards the older generations as well as declining health services, as if we are somehow to blame for all the problems highlighted since the start of this government crackdown and austerity measures on public spending.

Some younger generations are openly hostile these days too and seem to believe that we're all well-off. stevmk2
Couldn't agree with you more Steve.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 02:43 PM

That is probably true Steve - the NHS is a bit of a shambles right now. Underfunding, consultants who haven't really got a clue what they're on about yet have god complexes, the focus on pharmaceuticals. The list goes on..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 10:58 PM

Apparently unless you're a male of working age you don't get the best treatment. Having been in A&E recently, I can believe it! I was treated as if I was making a fuss. An elderly lady opposite me on a trolley was practically ignored, she kept saying, "Please help me!" it was ages until one nurse finally discovered her drip had come out!
I think older people would probably be more worried about admitting to having HIV as they remember the stigma created when it was first discovered.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

It's no different on my side of the water.
Our generation is to blame for everything that's wrong.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
That is probably true Steve - the NHS is a bit of a shambles right now. Underfunding, consultants who haven't really got a clue what they're on about yet have god complexes, the focus on pharmaceuticals. The list goes on..
As far as I'm concerned Azz, the NHS should not be run as a business by accountants with sidelong glances at privatisation, partial or otherwise!

It's supposed to be a National Health Service so it should be run by experts with medical management experience, preferably learned the hard way, not wide-boy whizz kids on eye-watering salaries, parachuted in by governments. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top