Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:01 PM

Aspirin in the News

Did others here see the news item today about Aspirin no longer recommended for some heart problems.
I heard a story from a lady who had a stomach bleed and it was at first over looked but then she was feeling so ill the cause was found.She had been on Aspirin for something like 10 years.any one else had any bad effects from Aspirin , i wondered if my recent episode of indigestion was down to taking Aspirin for last 4 years at least .
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Re: Aspirin in the News

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Did others here see the news item today about Aspirin no longer recommended for some heart problems.
I heard a story from a lady who had a stomach bleed and it was at first over looked but then she was feeling so ill the cause was found.She had been on Aspirin for something like 10 years.any one else had any bad effects from Aspirin , i wondered if my recent episode of indigestion was down to taking Aspirin for last 4 years at least .

How much aspirin do you take? The recommended amount to provide protection from coronary thrombosis or stroke is 81 miligrams.. or 1 baby aspirin. In addition, it is wise to take the enteric coated ASA to prevent gastric upset.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->

Could well be darlin' - but since I'm taking Warfarin, I'm not alllowed Aspirin.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:09 PM

I've been taking low-dose aspirins for about 20 years without any trouble. I once read an article in "The New Scientist" suggesting that aspirin was just as important in a diet as vitamins, the trouble is that what is the right thing to do at one time becomes the wrong thing to do 10 years on !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I've been taking low-dose aspirins for about 20 years without any trouble. I once read an article in "The New Scientist" suggesting that aspirin was just as important in a diet as vitamins, the trouble is that what is the right thing to do at one time becomes the wrong thing to do 10 years on !
True Alan - I'm surprised you are able to take it as you have had ulcers .......
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:34 PM

Aspirin is a pretty amazing drug. It's not as innert as some would think.

1. It can reduce fever

2. It can act as an anti-inflamatory

3. It can be an analgesic.. pain reliever

4. It has anti-coagulatory properties. Stops your platelets from clumping together to form clots.

5. relatively no side effects except for possible stomach irritation. But enteric coated is available.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 04:35 PM

In answer to Audrey
I only take one coated aspirin a day,when i asked my Doctor if it could be the cause , she said its difficult to determine.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->

That is absolutely right Alan. It happens with lots of things.
We're told this, that and the other is good for us, then once they've got half the nation hooked, they tell us - Whoops, sorry, not such a good idea after all.
Bluerose
London UK
Bluerose is female 

19-06-2014, 09:42 AM

I read somewhere that it was recommended to dissolve those One-a-day aspirin in a little water before taking in order to prevent stomach irritation.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:07 AM

You can get soluble ones, the coated tablets though would not dissolve - which is OK as they are coated, so same result ........

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top