Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Re: Aspirin in the News

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Did others here see the news item today about Aspirin no longer recommended for some heart problems.
I heard a story from a lady who had a stomach bleed and it was at first over looked but then she was feeling so ill the cause was found.She had been on Aspirin for something like 10 years.any one else had any bad effects from Aspirin , i wondered if my recent episode of indigestion was down to taking Aspirin for last 4 years at least .
Hi Eliza it is only some heart problems as you state above not all for which asprin is not now advised and in particular atrial fibrillation see this article..

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...rt-rhythm-nice

..more information on who can benefit from asprin..

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...aign=heart0114
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 11:44 AM

Asprin as mentioned has some great benefits. It depends on the strength in my mind. My Brother is nearly blind now from taking Asprin. He was told to take it after his heart bypass. He took it for years and had bleeds etc. Then it seemingly hit the back of his eyes and his eyes deteriorated so he
has a white stick now.
I take one now and again when I feel my blood thickening and that makes
me feel good. Better than Statins in my mind. The ones I take are 75mg and states on the box Gastro-Resistant Tablets, Enteric-Coated.
I buy them at the Pound shop.
As far as I knew you are not supposed to take a Asprin stronger than 75mg.
I did notice in the shop that some of them are 200mg or 300mg which is
very, very strong.
Unlike my silly Brother I would recommend anyone who has a bleed from the behind or anywhere else consult their Doctor and see what they say.
Could well be too much Asprin.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 12:24 PM

No Aspirin is not sufficient in Atrial Fibrillation. Warfarin/coumadin is the best bet. Afib is a serious condition in which the top part of the heart (the left and right atria) are receiving abnormal signals from the SA node telling them to contract. The atria responds and contracts rapidly.. somtimes at 200 beats per minute. The AV node which separates the Atria from the venticles stops most of those signals so the ventricles at the bottom of the heart are beating at a normal rate. The problem with this is that the atria are trying to respond to the rapid signals, but cannot. They end up just quivering. They are not contracting. So the blood just sort of sits in the chambers. As we all know, blood that is just sitting, will clot. That is what happens. Clots form in the atria and the patient is at risk for one of these clots to get through the valves into the right ventricle and be pumped out to the lung to form a pulmonary embulous.. which can kill you. OR it can travel to the left ventricle to be pumped up to the brain to cause a stroke. Coumadin is much stronger than aspirin and prevents the clots from forming in the atria and reeking havoc. Problem with coumadin is that you have to have regular blood work done to make sure you are not over or under coagulated and have your dosage of coumadin adjusted.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
No Aspirin is not sufficient in Atrial Fibrillation. Warfarin/coumadin is the best bet. Afib is a serious condition in which the top part of the heart (the left and right atria) are receiving abnormal signals from the SA node telling them to contract. The atria responds and contracts rapidly.. somtimes at 200 beats per minute. The AV node which separates the Atria from the venticles stops most of those signals so the ventricles at the bottom of the heart are beating at a normal rate. The problem with this is that the atria are trying to respond to the rapid signals, but cannot. They end up just quivering. They are not contracting. So the blood just sort of sits in the chambers. As we all know, blood that is just sitting, will clot. That is what happens. Clots form in the atria and the patient is at risk for one of these clots to get through the valves into the right ventricle and be pumped out to the lung to form a pulmonary embulous.. which can kill you. OR it can travel to the left ventricle to be pumped up to the brain to cause a stroke. Coumadin is much stronger than aspirin and prevents the clots from forming in the atria and reeking havoc. Problem with coumadin is that you have to have regular blood work done to make sure you are not over or under coagulated and have your dosage of coumadin adjusted.
There has been a lot of work done on this and actually aspirin IS currently considered better for SOME patients, ie those with lower risk factors and younger patients. Also co-morbidities and other medications have to be taken into account. It depends on the whole picture.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
There has been a lot of work done on this and actually aspirin IS currently considered better for SOME patients, ie those with lower risk factors and younger patients. Also co-morbidities and other medications have to be taken into account. It depends on the whole picture.
A person with low risk factors would never be prescribed Warfarin.. However Atrial fibrillation is far from a low risk factor. . Aspirin does not work on the clotting factors as Warfarin does.. OR the newer drugs such as Plavix. Atrial fibrillation can pretty much assure you of clot formation unless you are properly anticoagulated. Take my word for it.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 04:10 PM

There has been a lot of work done on this and actually aspirin IS currently considered better for SOME patients......

..........It depends on the whole picture.
Well summed up.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 06:38 PM

A person with low risk factors would never be prescribed Warfarin.. However Atrial fibrillation is far from a low risk factor. . Aspirin does not work on the clotting factors as Warfarin does.. OR the newer drugs such as Plavix. Atrial fibrillation can pretty much assure you of clot formation unless you are properly anticoagulated. Take my word for it.
Sorry, but no thanks. I prefer the conclusions of research and experience. Don't leap down my throat for saying that, as I know you have had experience but it just differs from mine, and I don't want people to be misled by apparently authoritative blanket statements.
I'll just agree to differ from your opinion and let others make up their own mind.
AudreyII
USA

20-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Sorry, but no thanks. I prefer the conclusions of research and experience. Don't leap down my throat for saying that, as I know you have had experience but it just differs from mine, and I don't want people to be misled by apparently authoritative blanket statements.
I'll just agree to differ from your opinion and let others make up their own mind.
I am a cardiac nurse by trade Orangutan... I have delt most of my career with people with cardiac issues and hematological issues, as well as peripheral vascular issues. Currently, I review medial charts to insure the doctors are properly documenting these issues. It is HARDLY my opinion... what I tell you is FACT. Believe me or don't believe me.. Your choice. I give a rats ass. Just trying to help. BUT.. as they say.. you can lead a horse to water........
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 09:40 PM

I am a cardiac nurse by trade Orangutan... I have delt most of my career with people with cardiac issues and hematological issues, as well as peripheral vascular issues. Currently, I review medial charts to insure the doctors are properly documenting these issues. It is HARDLY my opinion... what I tell you is FACT. Believe me or don't believe me.. Your choice. I give a rats ass. Just trying to help. BUT.. as they say.. you can lead a horse to water........
Sadly Audrey...the word FACT is a four letter word to some folk.
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2014, 04:05 PM

I also suffer with AF but resist Warfarin. I have seen untold damage done by Warfarin and it is something that would really worry me to take as I bleed a lot normally. A friend of mine has had a massive stroke, through a warfarin bleed into the stomach and is now acutely disabled. I do take asprin as being better than nothing however reading the post on this thread has also got me thinking that I must talk to my consultant.
I can't take ordinary asprin without another drug to line the stomach but have discovered gastro resitant asprin so avoiding this. Some chemists do carry gastro resistant asprin as do a certain pound shop. These are coated to prevent stomach irritation.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top