Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 11:25 PM

Mrs. Angry

I am so angry tonight, once again because of our local hospital.
I still have a complaint rumbling on about Mum's stay in this hospital back in April, and bugger me, if it hasn't started again now.
Mum got taken in last night quickly because she could hardly breathe properly. This was because she was so very low in haemoglobin, and badly needed a blood transfusion which she has kept refusing to have. Anyway, she stayed in overnight while they checked other things, and they said they would send her home this afternoon. I had to re-arrange her carers to save them going and no one was in.
I phoned them again late to check if they knew an approx. timescale so that I go over and be there when she got back.
That's when they said it would now be later than they thought as they had got transport problems. This meant I had to alter the carers again! Eventually when it was getting late I phoned again to see what was happening and they said the ambulance wouldn't let them know when they were picking her up, but she might now have to wait till tomorrow. So I phoned the care people for the 3rd time!!!
I said she would be very upset after waiting to go home all afternoon, to now be told she couldn't go after all, and I would either go myself or try to get someone else to fetch her - forget the ambulance.
I had a friend visiting me at the time, so had to ask her to leave so I could drive to the hospital. Eventually got Mum back home about 8.30 pm, helped her change her pyjamas and discovered 3 'pipes' sticking out of her arm, like the ones they connect up to drips.
Phoned the hospital AGAIN and asked why she had three pipes hanging out of her arm. Eventually someone answered the phone, then called someone else, who asked what colour the 'pipes were, and when I told them she said that should never have happened and could I take her all the way back again!!!! I said NO WAY. Apart from the fact I was exhausted, (and so was Mum), my eyes are really dodgy night driving and I wasn't prepared to risk it.
She said she would phone me back. When she eventually phoned back she said a district nurse was coming out to remove these things in her arm (Mum was going to pull them out herself)! I said if she wasn't going to be too long I would wait for her but they said they had no idea when it would be. By then I was getting pretty angry and said in that case I was going home and she would have to use the key safe. It is now 11.30pm, I still don't know if she has been or not and I am only just getting myself something to eat.
So yes, I am truly Mrs. Angry tonight.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 11:30 PM

Re: Mrs. Angry

Oh Mups how frustrating all that rearranging people.
I hope things look better tomorrow...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Oh Mups how frustrating all that rearranging people.
I hope things look better tomorrow...

Thanks Meg, I'm so fed up honestly. How can they have sent someone home with all these things still in her arm!
If Mum had tried to pull them out when I'd gone, would she have bled badly or would it have been safe I wonder? They were in a vein, that's what worried me and she is so very frail now, only just 5 stone.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 05:27 AM

If you feel the way you do think How does your Mum feel .?to make life easier for yourself why not stay the night..You say she is only 5stone and needed a blood transfusion. Im surprised she was allowed home in such a fragile condition.
Might be a good idea to take photos of the pipes in her arm,just for evidence if you are taking a complaint up .
Hope you get your mums care sorted soon ,and if it was me i wouldnt rely on the Hospital for Transport ,if you do that part yourself then at least you are in control. And know where you stand .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Yet another example of an hospital's incompetence.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 05:42 AM

That is just disgusting, Mups!
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 07:18 AM

Appalling treatment Mups (hugs). Complain to the hospital and ask for a written explanation then send a copy to your local councillor or David Cameron.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Absolutely appalling treatment, I am so sorry you and your mum had to go through that, bet that's more apology than you will get from the hospital too
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2014, 08:58 AM

That is disgusting treatment Mups, how stressful for you and your Mum ...... you deserve an apology from the hospital.

How is your Mum this morning?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza;484963[B
]If you feel the way you do think How does your Mum feel .?to make life easier for yourself why not stay the night..You say she is only 5stone and needed a blood transfusion. Im surprised she was allowed home in such a fragile condition.[/B]
Might be a good idea to take photos of the pipes in her arm,just for evidence if you are taking a complaint up .
Hope you get your mums care sorted soon ,and if it was me i wouldnt rely on the Hospital for Transport ,if you do that part yourself then at least you are in control. And know where you stand .

Eliza, once Mum was home and had something to eat she was o.k., it was me who was stressed because this wasn't a 1-off, I've had to fight the medical people continually about her care for the last 7 years, and that was just the last straw last night, I was tired. It had been 11 pm the previous night before I got something to eat, and unfortunately, I'm not young anymore either.
The reason I didn't drive over earlier was simply because originally, they said she would be on her way shortly.

As for the reason they let her out, that was because -
1. If Mum insists, they can't keep her.
2. They are aware that it is on her medical records she wants to die at home, not in hospital. She has terminal cancer.
3. She went in for a transfusion and they did a transfusion, so I guess to them, it was job done!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top