Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 08:03 PM

Hearing Test

It was my Hearing Test today at Audiology Dept., Milton Keynes.
I go to these things knowing full well it's going to be bad news but it still crushes me to get the undisputed truth of graphs and projections for MY future hearing prospects!

Well, I'm now officially graded as Profoundly Deaf - not a borderline situation anymore - does it make any difference?

To me it doesn't but it seems to be relevant to the NHS for some reason.

I've had my aids adjusted to the new results of my tests - pretty thorough and quite amazing technologically as the aids are adjusted by computer - there was some minor input by the audiologist but it's really quite weird sitting there watching a machine going through the procedure in full screen mode so you see exactly what it is doing - and why!

The result of the tweaks is sent through milliseconds afte completion, without any warning, so the audiologist sits there then turns to you and speaks!

Whoah!!

With my aids there's normally a melody before they turn on but linked to the computer that's bypassed so it catches you out for two reasons - one is the fact that there's no pre-warning your aids are on again and the second thing is the difference!

To them it's "minor" changes but to me it's "Wow, what's that high-pitched noise I can hear now?!"

I'm getting used to the changes now but again they are trying to convince me that Cochlear Implants is my next and only choice.

They are right of couse but that's today's science talking.

Tomorrow's science may have an alternative - so I'm resisting the pressure again, or at least until I'm one year closer to 65. stevmk2
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 09:54 PM

Re: Hearing Test

Been there Steve....it is so much different now in them getting results and much faster. Glad you're sorted, makes a huge difference to our hearing. Let's not forget though they are an aid only...doesn't give us normal hearing, but I wouldn't be without them now.
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2014, 10:26 PM

I am just about to go for an aid test. Tinitus & deaf in one ear & now my good ear is becoming an issue. Can't hear high notes so all music eg. ads on TV sound like they are off beat & in monotone only. ?????looking forward to a hearing aid??? If it does the job! Husband has two hearing aids so it's a mystery how we are both affected. Is it just a bacterial infection or viral?? My hubby says he can hear when he awakes after he's been lying down overnight. He has been deaf almost completly for 10 years & has two hearing aids. Very strange, but so very anti social as you can not hear any announcements or general conversations. Never thought about it until the last 10 yrs now I am affected. Probably old age but then we put a lot down to that. I have only consulted a Dr when absolutely necessary for any ailment maybe thats why I am deaf now.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by chris ->
I am just about to go for an aid test. Tinitus & deaf in one ear & now my good ear is becoming an issue. Can't hear high notes so all music eg. ads on TV sound like they are off beat & in monotone only. ?????looking forward to a hearing aid??? If it does the job! Husband has two hearing aids so it's a mystery how we are both affected. Is it just a bacterial infection or viral?? My hubby says he can hear when he awakes after he's been lying down overnight. He has been deaf almost completly for 10 years & has two hearing aids. Very strange, but so very anti social as you can not hear any announcements or general conversations. Never thought about it until the last 10 yrs now I am affected. Probably old age but then we put a lot down to that. I have only consulted a Dr when absolutely necessary for any ailment maybe thats why I am deaf now.
chris,
The fact that your husband needs two aids and now you do is probably due to natural loss due to age or possibly noise damage.
Deafness can of course be caused by other things but I'd love it if all deafness was caused by bacteria or a virus as someone would have found a cure by now!

Anyway, a bit of advice: -

When you have your test they will test you with beeps in each ear separately - that's how they do it around here.

Whatever you do, do not click the hand-held button if you can't hear a tone because they go up and down the scale to test what frequency you are having trouble with.

If you're not sure you can hear a tone it's best to err on the side of caution as what they usually do is increase the volume on that tone to see if you hear it then.

I have a whole range of Tinnitus that seriously effects me on tests because the beeps at some frequencies are identical to my internal "beeps"!

Some people get embarrassed and press the button when they haven't heard the tone but don't be tempted - you will only be fooling yourself and get an aid that's not set-up as well as it could have been.

When I have my tests now it takes about an hour and they calibrate for everything, including the room!

With me they calibrate the moulds I wear and the tubing, which has known audio characteristics and these are fed into the computer with all the other readings and measurements from your test.

It produces a graph that indicates where your hearing loss is occurring and for most people it's the higher frequencies where human speech occurs.

They will advise you on what you need and you may only need one of the small digital aids rather than the big ones I need with full ear moulds.

I'm sorry but I'm a little confused over your statement: -

"My hubby says he can hear when he awakes after he's been lying down overnight. He has been deaf almost completly for 10 years & has two hearing aids.".

Without my aids, I am, for all intents and purposes, completely deaf - I can't hear anything at all.

My data on the graph "flatlines" across most higher frequencies in my right ear and barely above that in my left ear and they've told me that, officially, I'm now classed as Profoundly Deaf, therefore I simply do not understand how your husband can possibly hear "when he wakes up" if he's been completely deaf for 10 years - sorry, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Good Luck with your test - you should find it helps when you get an aid - or even two.

The digitals made a big difference to me a few years ago and they still do but it's not going stop the inevitable for me.
Hope you are luckier than me. stevmk2
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Many, many thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated. Hearing test will be in august will let you know how that goes.
Yes, it's strange about my husbands hearing. We have a baby monitor so that we can hear if our wee dogs are distressed thru the night. He can hear the beebs from it after lying flat I have difficulty.

The Local Practise Drs of today appear to me to ask 'what do you think is wrong' as opposed to examining you & making the descisions on the ailment(s) like the old days. Heyho maybe this is the diagnostic future as I guess we all look at the computer to check out our symptons etc. if we have the ability to do so.
Nurses have become the new Drs even in A&E. The nurse practicioners are much more knowlegeable than junior Drs. The nurse of today can even certify a death if the patient had a pre diagnosed disease. They can increase medication or decrease it as they see fit. Changed days since I was nursing.
Could it be that in the future we do not need Practice Drs?

Maybe if I'd had a course of antibiotics it would have confirmed whether my sinusus/etc were the issue & that it was a bacterial infection. Then I would not have had to tell the Dr I am deaf & immediately referred to an Audio clinic.

My husband standing up is almost completely deaf without his aids. Thank goodness for digital hearing aids. A godsend for him.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

07-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris ->
Many, many thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated. Hearing test will be in august will let you know how that goes.
Yes, it's strange about my husbands hearing. We have a baby monitor so that we can hear if our wee dogs are distressed thru the night. He can hear the beebs from it after lying flat I have difficulty.

Maybe if I'd had a course of antibiotics it would have confirmed whether my sinusus/etc were the issue & that it was a bacterial infection. Then I would not have had to tell the Dr I am deaf & immediately referred to an Audio clinic.
My husband standing up is almost completely deaf without his aids. Thank goodness for digital hearing aids. A godsend for him.
Hello chris,

I'm afraid I simply do not understand at all how your "completely deaf" husband can hear the beeps of baby monitor "after lying flat" - he's either completely deaf or he isn't.

Sorry, I really don't mean to be rude but without my aids I am completely deaf and I can assure you that I can't hear a thing, no matter what position I am in.

Secondly, I think it's just possible that your doctor's recommended a hearing test as a precautionary measure as I don't see a doctor prescribing a course of antibiotics without some kind of investigation of the cause; they are clamping down on the indiscriminate use of antibiotics these days.

Odd though it seems to me, maybe he has good reason to suspect age-related hearing loss rather than say Otitis Media for example? stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top