Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Re: Deaf for a day

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
IMO people are scared they are scared it may all be catching or they are embarrassed and just don't know what to say. Tell you who will treat you the same though, that is kids they openly just demand to know why your legs don't work, wonder why we lose that openness and curiosity ?
Now there's something that could be both theraputic for disabled people and educational for the children too - visits by schoolchildren.

Where I work, at Christmas the local school send a junior choir to sing Carols for the residents and everybody loves it.

Before and after the children meet the residents, talk to them and listen too - but the questions!

Adults always skirt around asking what they think are impolite questions but children - they don't pull any punches and ask things like "Why can't you sit up in your wheel chair?" to one of our palsy residents or "Why do you have to use that typewriter-thing to talk?" to another.

The effect on the residents is, to me, obvious; they don't have a lot to smile about, stuck in wheelchairs or bedridden much of the time, unable to do what most people don't even think about but after the kids have gone there's smiles all round for hours.

I've often wondered if it makes a difference to the kids too.

Two of my granddaughters want to work as teachers, one with the disabled in particular, and that came about from a school visit and she made the decision about what she wanted to do from that! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Re: Deaf for a day

That's great Steve, wish it could happen more might make people think when they are older if they have met disabled people when they are children.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top