Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Re: Peripheral Neuropathy

I'm also trying to take of weight.. as well and I am trying to keep active. I enjoy walking and have been doing 2-3 miles perhaps 3 or 4 times a week. However, those nights are when my nerve pain and restless leg syndrome seems at it's worst. I fear not being able to keep up my excercise. I will fight hard to keep that from happening.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Night time is particularly bad, I use cool Arnica gel on my legs and feet then get into bed and hope I get to sleep quickly. This is not always possible if the pain has been horrendous all the day, sometimes returning to bed at 4am - its a nightmare for sure, just hope this new idea, gives some relief .....
The walking will not help with the condition Audrey - sadly, can only suggest very comfy shoes and this product I am getting, if it works !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 03:25 PM

I was diagnosed with this some years ago, while I was working at St Thomas' Hospital. The diabetes wasn't diagnosed until a few years later, with borderline blood glucose level.

The pains, tingling and burning were absolutely unbearable. I also went through the nerve conduction test and have been taking pregabalin 500mg (Lyrica) twice a day, sometimes 3. For some time I took amitriptyline, but I felt continually drugged up each day, so came off them.

It was because of the neuropathy, and the RA, that I resigned from there and gave up commuting into London. It made a huge difference, but I am not without pain.

It's a horrible condition, believe me.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Just to add, that when I am in particularly bad pain I apply something like ibuleve or ibuprofen gel to my toes, and that helps.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 03:32 PM

You're right - too much walking will only worsen the condition.
If Ibuleve helps that's good Jazzi, nothing has worked for me - yet .......
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You're right - too much walking will only worsen the condition.
If Ibuleve helps that's good Jazzi, nothing has worked for me - yet .......
That makes me sad because walking is the only form of exercise I do. I know that sensory neuron neuopathy can affect the motor neurons and therefore muscle strength. I would have hoped walking could prevent muscle strength loss.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

09-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
That makes me sad because walking is the only form of exercise I do. I know that sensory neuron neuopathy can affect the motor neurons and therefore muscle strength. I would have hoped walking could prevent muscle strength loss.
The problem for me is, its unbearable to walk, even if you Audrey manage it, they will start upon you later. If you can manage exercises at home to strengthen and walk less, you may see improvement.
I know its horrible not being able to do what you loved to do, hopefully it wont get that bad for you - but it seems you are at the stage to pace yourself and avoid things that worsen the condition. Still do those things until you are at least diagnosed x

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top