12-10-2016, 07:55 PM

Re: Nuisance Caller (Me)

I'm not familiar with the automated marketing messages. I answer the phone live
Nuisance
East Anglia, UK
Nuisance is male 

12-10-2016, 08:05 PM

If you got through to me the best way to stop the people I work for from ever contacting you again would be to firmly ask to be put on our DO NOT CALL list. Although many agents may bombard you with questions to deter you. When I hang up from that call I simply click the DO NOT CALL option and the computer moves your details to that list
Nuisance
East Anglia, UK
Nuisance is male 

12-10-2016, 08:23 PM

Of course that's not the only way...
If you're willing to have some fun you could try:

Pretending to be on TPS. I'd have no way of checking and despite screening they do slip through sometimes. Sound annoyed... more than usual.

Or

When they say "Hello, is that X?" say "No, this is X's carer and they're in no condition to talk to anyone". When I hang up one of the options is OVERAGE. It's normal use is for when the person sounded vulnerable, although it is also used if they sounded very physically frail.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 08:23 PM

Hi Nuisance,

I'm afraid if I get a nuisance call, I just tell them, i'm not interested and put the phone down.
Nuisance
East Anglia, UK
Nuisance is male 

12-10-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi Nuisance,

I'm afraid if I get a nuisance call, I just tell them, i'm not interested and put the phone down.
They'll interpret that to mean, "I'm not interested in THIS offer. But keep me on your records if anything else comes up"
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 08:43 PM

I thought that it was now illegal for cold calling, is it?
Nuisance
East Anglia, UK
Nuisance is male 

12-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I thought that it was now illegal for cold calling, is it?
There are loopholes. "I'm just calling in regards to a letter we sent to everyone in [their postcode], not eveyone recieved it, did you?" When they inevitably say no you tell them what the offer was.
Then comes the cruicial part, if the person was interested they say the team which handles the letters will give them a quick call back to 'make sure they get the correct offer'. At this point you may be consenting to future contact
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 09:30 PM

Hi Nuisance

This is a topic of significant interest to me. I have my own way of dealing with nuisance calls which is 100% effective, however I would be grateful if you would answer the following questions for me. I realise there are some thing you won't be able to answer not having been there long so I will keep the questions light.

1) What is the maximum number of rings you are told to wait for before you hang up and try another number?

2) You presumably have a database on a PC to log the results of each call. Can you tell me please, do you flag or otherwise categorise each telephone number according to who answered and how they answered?

If so can you tell me what the categories are?

For example do you tick a box to say that the number WAS answered or not answered? That the number was a viable number with a person at the other end or not? etc

3) How many times are you asked to ring back the same number if you didn't get an answer first time?

4) At what point is that number deemed useless or invalid and how is that logged?

5) Where does the list of phone numbers come from ? (guessing you won't know this)

6) Are you aware of your company passing (or selling) that same list on to other companies? Do you add value to the list by verifying which numbers are good/bad etc?

Cheers
Nuisance
East Anglia, UK
Nuisance is male 

12-10-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hi Nuisance

This is a topic of significant interest to me. I have my own way of dealing with nuisance calls which is 100% effective, however I would be grateful if you would answer the following questions for me. I realise there are some thing you won't be able to answer not having been there long so I will keep the questions light.

1) What is the maximum number of rings you are told to wait for before you hang up and try another number?

2) You presumably have a database on a PC to log the results of each call. Can you tell me please, do you flag or otherwise categorise each telephone number according to who answered and how they answered?

If so can you tell me what the categories are?

For example do you tick a box to say that the number WAS answered or not answered? That the number was a viable number with a person at the other end or not? etc

3) How many times are you asked to ring back the same number if you didn't get an answer first time?

4) At what point is that number deemed useless or invalid and how is that logged?

5) Where does the list of phone numbers come from ? (guessing you won't know this)

6) Are you aware of your company passing (or selling) that same list on to other companies? Do you add value to the list by verifying which numbers are good/bad etc?

Cheers
1. I don't hear ringing ever. I don't dial, the computers do. They don't put the call through until the line has been answered.

2. There are about twenty options to pick from when I hang up, although I've had no use for most of them. There are no boxes to tick, we can only choose one option per call. Off the top of my head I can name ANSWERING MACHINE (overwhealmingly the most common), NOT INTERESTED, BITE, BUSY, CALL BACK, TPS, DO NOT CALL, OVERAGE, NO ANSWER (the line was picked up but the answerer stayed silent), HUNG UP (either the answerer hung up without saying anything or the line disconnected) and WRONG DETAILS (can be a clerical error by the people who compiled the data or simply out of date. One person I spoke to said 'That person has been dead for 8 years and we still get calls for them'). I can't remember any more right now.

3. See 1

4. I don't know that.

5. The data is purchased en masse (I don't know where from). According to their recruiter, they spend hundreds of thousands of pounds buying it.

6. I have no idea if they're passing it to any other companies. As for wheather the options at the end of the call can add value to the list I'm afraid I don't know that either.

I hope this is of some help
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2016, 10:27 PM

I have the TPS but still get some calls. I just say no thank you and hang up.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top