Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Nuisance
East Anglia, UK
Nuisance is male 

21-10-2016, 05:24 AM

Re: Nuisance Caller (Me)

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
This is very interesting 'Nuisance' and welcome by the way
I am registered with the telephone preference people, and apparently all these so-called "cold callers" have a list of such telephones which are registered thus.

Apparently it is a serious offence for a company to phone a 'cold call' to a telephone number which is registered to the telephone preference people. We also have our mobiles listed on this register. Can you tell me if and how you are informed of such telephone numbers, or is the computer programmed to avoid calling out to these particular telephone numbers ?

I'm very curious to find out just how foolproof this 'protection' from 'nuisance calls' is.

Here is a link to the TPS if anybody is interested. This service is operated by Direct Marketing Association, directed by Ofcom. IT IS FREE, so if you get calls where the caller says you must pay a fee to be registered with TPS, then report as many details as you can to the genuine TPS.

http://www.tpsservices.co.uk/telepho...e-service.aspx
I would only find out someone was on TPS after calling them, so they do slip through.

To be honest I have no idea what the law specifically says about TPS. But I do know that the problem isn't the rules themselves, but instead poor enforcement.

And you are right about TPS being free.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nuisance ->
I am going into work tomorrow for the last time. I've lost my job as a telemarketing agent after just a couple of weeks. (Just to be clear, I'm not taking a moral stand. I lost the job because I didn't get enough `bites' for the last couple of days). I've registered with this forum purely because I realised many older people don't know how to handle these calls. So if you've got a question about them I'll do my best to answer (But bear in mind that I haven't worked there long).
No profile details I see NC or posts made in any thread but this one, mmmm .
The cynic in me tells me you might just be looking for information on how people react to nuisance calls so you can be forewarned in your next job .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 11:59 AM

I would only find out someone was on TPS after calling them, so they do slip through.
Well I can certainly confirm that. We are supposedly on the TPS register and yet regularly receive junk calls.

A bit of a waste of time, I'd say.
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 12:28 PM

You'd be surprised how few people swore at me.
Well I'm pleased for you Nuisance, but I am bordering on swearing 'big time' at one very persistent little git. I've asked, and told him not to ring my number again, only to find him, or another 'nuisance' on the line a few days/weeks later. Maybe they will understand ..... off!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 01:51 PM

Don't answer the phone!!!

If it's someone you know and it's a genuine call they will begin to speak and you'll know who it is and pick up.

If it's crap they never ever leave a message so you'll know it's a crap call and you can shout "Hah!!" at the phone and you've saved yourself all this aggro.

The phone is your servant, don't be its slave.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top