Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 08:28 PM

Aren't Doctor's Waiting Rooms Strange Places?

There l was sitting in the doctor's extremely packed waiting room, nobody daring to make eye contact whilst music more suitable for the crematorium was playing.
Suddenly, a sergeant major type nurse emerged from a consulting room and boomed out an order for everyone waiting for the flu injection to take off their coat and roll up the sleeve of their left arm! I watched as mostly elderly couples, struggled to take off their coats and roll up their sleeve.
When l was called in for my B12 injection, l inquired why an order such as this was boomed out? I was told... Only one minute is allowed per person for the flu injection!

What is the waiting room like at your doctor's surgery? Are the receptionists friendly or is their mission in life, to protect the doctors? Do the waiting patients chat to each other? Or is there no eye contact whilst listening to inane, depressing music?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 08:58 PM

Re: Aren't Doctor's Waiting Rooms Strange Places?

My doctor's waiting room is generally empty, possibly because no one can get through the jammed switchboard to make an appointment.
Last week when I was there they were playing Christmas Carols.
The computerised machine on the wall where you log in your arrival broke 6 months ago, remains unfixed, so it's now back to talking to a receptionist hiding behind a glass screen.
They have one of those hand gel cleaning things in the entrance .. so everyone comes in briskly rubbing their hands together and saying ... gel's sticky innit, instead of, it's chilly out.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
There l was sitting in the doctor's extremely packed waiting room, nobody daring to make eye contact whilst music more suitable for the crematorium was playing.
Suddenly, a sergeant major type nurse emerged from a consulting room and boomed out an order for everyone waiting for the flu injection to take off their coat and roll up the sleeve of their left arm! I watched as mostly elderly couples, struggled to take off their coats and roll up their sleeve.
When l was called in for my B12 injection, l inquired why an order such as this was boomed out? I was told... Only one minute is allowed per person for the flu injection!

What is the waiting room like at your doctor's surgery? Are the receptionists friendly or is their mission in life, to protect the doctors? Do the waiting patients chat to each other? Or is there no eye contact whilst listening to inane, depressing music?
It is only like that when a nurse called "Scary Mary" does the jabs. Comes out her door shouting, who has not had a flu jab, you, you or you. One minute and I think they are paid £9 for that.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 09:08 PM

In general, I only go every 3 mths for blood tests.
Other than that I don't really hang about to find out what goes on there.

Must admit I don't much like this practice...one of those 'do all things' type of places. Has a large waiting room, where pts sit with their phones, crap doctors, friendly receptionists. No music.

My last surgery was more homely, better doctors, a smaller chatty waiting room, not very friendly receptionists and softly played music

Eeee, but you can't 'ave it all
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 09:11 PM

At our village surgery we have three full time GPs and two parttimers, plus a practice nurse on duty during surgery hours. The most people in the waiting room I've seen is eight (plus one child in the play area).

And the doctors/nurses come out and call you by name - none of this PA announcing, or digital display: "Jane Smith to Dr Jones, room 2".

The doctors also do blood tests during a consultation, rather than us patients needing to make a second appointment with a nurse to have it done.

Our surgery covers quite a large rural area, and includes a dispensing service.

We are blessed with our surgery and the staff, who play an active part in village life. And after three years here I'm now quite used to seeing my doctor in the pub!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
At our village surgery we have three full time GPs and two parttimers, plus a practice nurse on duty during surgery hours. The most people in the waiting room I've seen is eight (plus one child in the play area).

And the doctors/nurses come out and call you by name - none of this PA announcing, or digital display: "Jane Smith to Dr Jones, room 2".

The doctors also do blood tests during a consultation, rather than us patients needing to make a second appointment with a nurse to have it done.

Our surgery covers quite a large rural area, and includes a dispensing service.

We are blessed with our surgery and the staff, who play an active part in village life. And after three years here I'm now quite used to seeing my doctor in the pub!
Hi

Great isn't it living in a village, ring up, get an appointment.

Meet the GP in the village shop, getting his fags.

"I haven't seen you for a while."

" No, I've been ill"

Hilarious.

Go to the Surgery, see the Doc, get a prescription, 10 minutes wait maximum.

They know you.

Can you drop these off on your way home?

Yep, no problem.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 10:18 PM

Our docters surgery in a village 5 miles away is fairly new and a hive of activity with lots of diferent specalists nurses /phisios holding clinics. It's a bit like a small hospital,there are about 14 doctors in all and I book online so can choose my time slot but have to wait over a week for a none emergncy appointment.

No nurses shouting, you sign in on touch screen and a monitor on the wall giving health information also tells you when the Doctor is ready for you and in which room.

I am scared of going in case I pick up an infection .
I went last week and I need a blood test.
Gone are the days when the Dr told you to 'roll up your sleeve' and took it there and then, instead I have to wait 2 weeks for a slot with the Phlebotomists then another week for results by which time I will probably be dead or better.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 10:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZPTUT2PIM
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Thank goodness my gp surgery doesn't play music. My dental surgery normally has the tv blaring, usually on a channel/programme not of my choice. The doctors use a tannoy, which isn't the best method, as sometimes they only say the patient's name once. Others will repeat it, alongwith the room number. I'd much prefer a screen showing name and room, but there isn't the ability to do it.

I've yet to make a flu jab appt but I do remember the call to have everyone's arm ready, lol.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 10:38 PM

At my doctors they have special sessions for flu jabs - usually a Saturday morning. The kindly receptionist asks you to roll your sleeve up and join the queue. There are about 6 doctors on the go giving the flu jabs and we are seen to in record time. It's all so well run and efficient.

At other times when I go to the doctors it is never crowded as people have appointment times - the receptionist is lovely and there is no music at all - oh and yes, the patients do chat to one another.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top