Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 10:59 PM

Re: Aren't Doctor's Waiting Rooms Strange Places?

Originally Posted by carol ->
At my doctors they have special sessions for flu jabs - usually a Saturday morning. The kindly receptionist asks you to roll your sleeve up and join the queue. There are about 6 doctors on the go giving the flu jabs and we are seen to in record time. It's all so well run and efficient.

At other times when I go to the doctors it is never crowded as people have appointment times - the receptionist is lovely and there is no music at all - oh and yes, the patients do chat to one another.

Sounds like you live in my town carol.....no complaints here...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
At my doctors they have special sessions for flu jabs - usually a Saturday morning. The kindly receptionist asks you to roll your sleeve up and join the queue. There are about 6 doctors on the go giving the flu jabs and we are seen to in record time. It's all so well run and efficient.

At other times when I go to the doctors it is never crowded as people have appointment times - the receptionist is lovely and there is no music at all - oh and yes, the patients do chat to one another.

For heavens sake don't keep mentioning the flu jabs, or we'll have another 50 page debate!

I think there are about 6 doctors at my surgery, plus various nurses and nurse practitioners.
There is a screen for signing yourself in, but some people won't, or can't use it so book in at reception.
The receptionists are very brusque if you phone up, but are slightly more human if you go in person. I can't honestly say there are welcoming or friendly though.

I honestly can't remember whether there is music or not, but there is one of those roll-around screens full of information about the surgery, and how they are desperate for another GP to join or else we may find it difficult to get appointments - as if it's easy now!

Don't think I've ever seen patients chat to each other.

When your name comes up on the screen, and you finally get in, I definitely feel of late, that they are half listening and half got their eye on the stop watch!

Oh, one last thing. We are allowed to arrive just 5 mins late, and not a minute more. If you are 6 mins late they refuse to see you.

What really annoys me about this is, they only give us 5 mins, yet you can sit in the waiting room for 45 mins waiting for them!!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
There l was sitting in the doctor's extremely packed waiting room, nobody daring to make eye contact whilst music more suitable for the crematorium was playing.
Suddenly, a sergeant major type nurse emerged from a consulting room and boomed out an order for everyone waiting for the flu injection to take off their coat and roll up the sleeve of their left arm! I watched as mostly elderly couples, struggled to take off their coats and roll up their sleeve.
When l was called in for my B12 injection, l inquired why an order such as this was boomed out? I was told... Only one minute is allowed per person for the flu injection!

What is the waiting room like at your doctor's surgery? Are the receptionists friendly or is their mission in life, to protect the doctors? Do the waiting patients chat to each other? Or is there no eye contact whilst listening to inane, depressing music?
I went with my son to our chemist to have our flu jabs this afternoon. No trying to find a parking place, no long wait with hundreds of others for the flu jabs & no sergeant major nurse.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 11:16 PM

The Doctor the Wife works for starts at 8.30am, finishes surgery at 7.15pm, then does paperwork till 11.00pm, that is dedication.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 11:20 PM

You have to decide, if it is the people, or the system that have let you down.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Years ago we had alovley village GP the Surgery was in his home where he could perform minor operations the only staff he had was a pleasant Receptionist, who had medical experience too.

No appointments in the morning ,only in the afternoon
Then it was home visits, where he would stop for a chat and tea if he had time.

When you told him your symptoms he would say "Do you know, I get that as well." He would often examine your heart too.

His hobby was growing Tomatoes in a huge Greenhouse, so after consultation ,he would ask, "How many Tomatoes would you like?
When i was concerned about stomach pains, he examined me and i was in hospital the day after having surgery.

The poor man could not cure himself from very bad arthritis.

When he died a Scottish GP took over and would barley give you an Asprin as he liked people to suffer in silence

He retired early and went to live in a Mansion with a new mistress and plays golf every day

Now a very nice female GP looks on a Computer to see medication and in ten years i have had one examination.
Most symptoms are referred to a hospital visit.
Appointments only a waiting list for a ten minute visit The phone tells you to get an Ambulance if it is serious.

The waiting room is often empty.
Many people treat them selves at home and look online for medication
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Never had a flu jab in my life and hope I never will.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 08:51 AM

Our medical centre is brand new replacing the old one which was a bit cramped. It is HUGE, very welcoming, all the staff are friendly and helpful.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 10:08 AM

I too am impressed every time I attend the surgery. Lots of space. A computerised system for telling you where to wait. The building is customised and there are lots of extras. A pharmacy is in the building. You go there with the prescription that has just been printed for you and leave the building with no extra things to do.

Brilliant.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Ours seems to be as friendly as you want it to be, I've seen some very rude people get sharp end of the receptionists tongue but greet her with a smile and a hello how are you and she's lovely.

Special flu clinics this year in the evening I didn't notice any time limit the nurse was very chatty !

I'm always amazed at how empty the waiting room is though as the waiting list for appointments is now over a month, I worry a bit the seats are reserved for patients who have died waiting but my husband says they probably just got better, he's more cheery than me

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top