Join for free
Page 162 of 274 « First < 62 112 152 160 161 162 163 164 172 212 262 > Last »
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

T Rex were very very different when they started out as Tyrannosaurus Rex.I saw them in some cellar in Covent Garden.John Peel was there,he was a big fan at the time but he went off them
Unicorn
https://youtu.be/tU9AbpBc2fA

I've always preferred Jealous Guy to Imagine(bit of a dirge, i think)
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
T Rex were very very different when they started out as Tyrannosaurus Rex.I saw them in some cellar in Covent Garden.John Peel was there,he was a big fan at the time but he went off them
Unicorn
https://youtu.be/tU9AbpBc2fA

I've always preferred Jealous Guy to Imagine(bit of a dirge, i think)
Yes, like psych-prog. I've got their first two albums but I couldn't get into them tbh. Bit too spaced out for me.
I remember in John Peel's autobiography that he was annoyed with Marc Bolan because he really plugged his music on air but as soon as he got famous he didn't want to know peel at all.

Imagine is one of those songs which is too overplayed I think. I actually prefer Roxy Music's cover of Jealous Guy.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 05:59 AM

Got on the 1st page and saw your comment about Donovan live.
I saw him in Windsor in a smallish theatre and he played almost the entire show sitting down. He introduced his wife(?) and child.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
Got on the 1st page and saw your comment about Donovan live.
I saw him in Windsor in a smallish theatre and he played almost the entire show sitting down. He introduced his wife(?) and child.
Yes, a weird night out.
Sat on a cushion on a table with a light shining on him, otherwise it was dark.
Another odd thing too: When he first came on stage he said to take photos now because for the rest of the show "it will be impossible".
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Yes he was sitting on a table then. A foggy evening in Windsor

I was surprised Cream lasted as long as it did. I saw Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker in the Graham Bond Organisation on the Chuck Berry tour. I believe Ginger sacked Jack from the group.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by warleyron ->
Yes he was sitting on a table then. A foggy evening in Windsor

I was surprised Cream lasted as long as it did. I saw Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker in the Graham Bond Organisation on the Chuck Berry tour. I believe Ginger sacked Jack from the group.
You were lucky to see the Graham Bond Organisation mate. They could have been really big I think, although the r'n'b scene was mostly a 60's genre. Ginger and Jack were always at loggerheads I believe, two very incendiary personalities and it's amazing they lasted even the four years in Cream without killing each other. That's where Eric Clapton's mellow persona as a mediator stepped in I guess!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 01:36 PM

When I saw Donovan in 2015 he was sitting on his own with his green guitar which he had named Kelly. His Muse was somewhere in the audience but he didn't introduce her.

A completely acoustic show with only a sax appearing for the final song, Mellow Yellow.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-04-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
When I saw Donovan in 2015 he was sitting on his own with his green guitar which he had named Kelly. His Muse was somewhere in the audience but he didn't introduce her.

A completely acoustic show with only a sax appearing for the final song, Mellow Yellow.
Sounds like the same set up as Warleyron and myself saw, Ffosse. A bizarre experience if ever there was one. We didn't even get the sax though!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2018, 01:49 PM

I got his autograph - very friendly and down-to-earth guy. He played all his hits plus a lot of (to me) fairly obscure folk songs.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-04-2018, 01:53 PM

No.272: "Metal Box" by Public Image Ltd. (1979)
After Johnny Rotten left The Sex Pistols when it ended up in a complete horrible mess, he was very quick to re-emerge using his own name of Lydon with a brand new and completely different sound.
Public Image Ltd. were originally Lydon, Keith Levine and Jah Wobble and came about from Johhny's own love of experimental/avant grade German Krautrock and bands such as Can. Throwing into the mix other favourite acts of his, especially the Detroit garage punk of The stooges, he formed this entirely different band to what the Pistols were all about.
Debut single simply called 'Public Image' was and still is one of those very best examples of the post-punk era. An incredibly good song and an album was rushed out to compliment it.
What happened the next year pretty much stunned the music world. A silver metal box appeared which contained three long 12" singles in a tin and the music contained on those records was quite a revelation in those times. I'm going off my own basic knowledge about this record and I'm sure there are others a little older than me who may have more info on this whole shebang. But for now, here are two songs from the album, plus that initial single (from the debut record).

And because the first album isn't in the list, we'll have this classic debut anyway:

Page 162 of 274 « First < 62 112 152 160 161 162 163 164 172 212 262 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top