Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:34 AM

Re: Waitangi Day

Very interesting Ciderman, I love the video...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:45 AM

Happy Waitangi day Ciderman, my relatives in the South island are supposed to be having a celebratory barbecue, if it ever stops raining that is....
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I know many New Zealanders would do a mean Haka at this suggestion but I still maintain that we should federate into one country. It would be good for both of us. Sure NZ is doing very well as it is but the one mistake I think they make is their assumption that nobody would be interested in barging in and taking over in the future. So you guys can have our defence forces and economy to join up with yours and still be New Zealand -a state with the same name, flag and all the autonomy of the other states. A joint federation with the reps in Canberra and the senate in Wellington say. And we can have Jacinda as president of the lot? Dream on you say?..propbably
Oh my lord, never in my wildest dreams.
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
Anybody know what that is?
very year on 6 February, New Zealand marks the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840. In that year, representatives of the British Crown and over 500 Māori chiefs signed what is often considered to be New Zealand’s founding document. The day was first officially commemorated in 1934, and it has been a public holiday since 1974.
I would like this as our national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9y7...&start_radio=1
The only good thing about Waitangi these days is the beautiful scenery. The celebrations have been hijacked by the politicans, just what Maori want. Bad enough with all their demonstrations .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
There are a lot of cultural fairs all over the country but the big ones are at Waitangi and in Auckland. Lots of music, lots of food (including some 'hangis') , hakas and Maori ceremonies. A fun time for all. See if you can google the difference between a 'hangi' and a 'hongi'.
I vaguely knew what a hongi was, but I did my homework enough to know that if you mix them up, you are likely to end up with a burned nose. .

Excellent. Thank you for the education.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top