Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:50 PM

Re: ...and now the floods

It gets quite interesting here too! Water restrictions here and a lot of worried farmers while down south-
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...cid=spartanntp
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 04:22 AM

Bruce I am in east Queensland at the moment and we have had torrential rain for two days but I love it and the ground needs it !
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 05:48 AM

Only Australia would birth a cyclone and then spin it back as a Category 3 a few miles down the coast.

You all are a hardy lot , but it seems the gods are taking turns saying, "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:43 PM

According to my rain gauge I received 15mm overnight but the main rain band for the Illawarra is not expected to arrive until this evening.

They are talking anything from 80 mm to 200mm + but it all depends on the exact position of the low compared to the trough stretching across the country. This rain should last for several days with heavy falls for Saturday, Sunday and Monday however it will not get as far south as the Riverina. (I merely repeat what I just heard on the radio)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200207 rain.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	11563  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:23 PM

The number of snakes, flies and other creepy-crawlies is peaking in outback Queensland after a good start to the wet season.

Widespread rain across the state's north saw more than 400mm tipped out of rain gauges in some parts, with the deluge transforming dry riverbeds into high-flowing waterways and sodden fields — the perfect breeding ground for bugs.

While the eclipse of moths around back veranda lights is an obvious sign of the boom, it has also brought out snakes that have experts warning people to be cautious of.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...-bugs/11935890

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The number of snakes, flies and other creepy-crawlies is peaking in outback Queensland after a good start to the wet season.

Widespread rain across the state's north saw more than 400mm tipped out of rain gauges in some parts, with the deluge transforming dry riverbeds into high-flowing waterways and sodden fields — the perfect breeding ground for bugs.

While the eclipse of moths around back veranda lights is an obvious sign of the boom, it has also brought out snakes that have experts warning people to be cautious of.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...-bugs/11935890

Sounds good Brucy! Should top up the dams as well on that scale??
Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 07:07 AM

There is often a wish for hard freezes here in the winter, Bruce, because without one (as was the case last year), the populations of insects, arachnids, and snakes make for interesting summers.

Note to self: Pack a fire extinguisher, life vest, and bug spray when visiting Oz.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 11:50 AM

Bruce, Hope to goodness the rain does put those fires out. You have been going through hell over there, you poor things.

Just looking at that picture of the snake. GULP! Thinking back to the £10 per Pom in the 60's, the only thing that put me off taking up your country's kind and generous offer, was the thought of those snakes and hand-sized spiders.

I am so fearful of both that I would never be able to sit outside on a lawn over there (or astroturf) believing that a snake could be slithering its way towards me, or going into the garden shed (or lean-to) to get something and be confronted by a Sydney Funnel Web Spider glaring at me before it pounced.

OMG, I am a wreck if I spot a small spider in the bath! so I would not have made a good welcome Pommy Aussie. You need people with grit, so that wouldn't have been me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

07-02-2020, 11:49 PM

I had 30mm of rain two days ago and 52mm yesterday with much more expected today (Saturday), tomorrow and on Monday, according to BOM we should get over 200mm. Some will run off and raise the dam levels.

Robertson on top of the escarpment received 91mm yesterday but in 1983 or so ago they received over 1000mm in two days.

My gauge was over filled yesterday so I have to measure it by other means.

BTW the massive Currowang fire is almost out because of the rain

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020502.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	11568  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

08-02-2020, 09:29 AM

According to this evening's ABC news Wollongong could get 350mm rain tomorrow. That will be interesting. My rain gauge won't cope with that.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top