Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 08:55 PM

how did they get my number?

I've been having some new worktops and sink fitted today. Can't afford a full new kitchen unfortunately but I would like some new flooring.

I was looking on my phone at flooring and after I had finished browsing I had a phone call on my mobile. I don't answer numbers I don't recognise but when I did a 'who calls me' I saw the number was from a flooring site I had been looking at!

How did they get my number from browsing? This is bad. Is there no privacy anymore. I don't want all and sundry calling me when I've been browsing. Is there a way to stop it?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Re: how did they get my number?

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've been having some new worktops and sink fitted today. Can't afford a full new kitchen unfortunately but I would like some new flooring.

I was looking on my phone at flooring and after I had finished browsing I had a phone call on my mobile. I don't answer numbers I don't recognise but when I did a 'who calls me' I saw the number was from a flooring site I had been looking at!

How did they get my number from browsing? This is bad. Is there no privacy anymore. I don't want all and sundry calling me when I've been browsing. Is there a way to stop it?
If you did it on Messenger on your Comp or and I pad.

They got you threw your browers
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->

Are they both local companies? Did you mention flooring to the worktops people?

How did they get my number from browsing?
They can't.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Are they both local companies? Did you mention flooring to the worktops people?

No. I just don't understand it, just seems strange I had been looking at a flooring website yet next few minutes I got a call from a flooring company.

They can't.
Maybe it was coincidence, weird though.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:17 PM

If you enter a name and ask for a phone number into a search engine I think you will find a number of sites that offer the ability to get the number or vice versa
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:34 PM

I'm no computer expert but I think the cookies they leave on your computer when you do a search enable them to do a lot of tracing. These are getting more sophisticated all the time I would imagine; like everything else. Just delete this stuff if you don't want to follow it up.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:57 PM

Don't tell anyone you have had a sneaky Custard Cream.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 11:39 PM

Actually, if you browse the internet on your phone, your phone number just like your email address on a computer, is sent to the owners of the website you are browsing. What they do with that information depends on the laws of the country where the website is based.

It is well known in the mobile phone world that Apple and Google use hidden programs that send your personal information back to them. Both companies have been caught out numerous times by security researchers who have found hidden programs that run in the background, unseen by the phone owner.

Each time both companies release a press release explaining how sorry they are and that they will change their ways. All they are doing is finding new ways to get your personal information so they can sell it to their 'associated partners'.

A flooring company ringing the phone from someone who has used their mobile phone to browse for flooring is not a coincidence. Incidents such as that have been happening for years. There are loads of tech websites who are reported on such issues, just search for them.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:42 AM

Big Brother is watching. Big Brother, Inc. that is.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 01:31 AM

You can make voice calls on messenger and it sounds just like a normal phone tone. This is why I refuse to install it now. Someone on my friends list once called me and it totally freaked me out as it was not someone I knew well enough to give my number. If it's via the regular mobile contacts /phone section then it's possibly your permissions are allowing free reign access to a social media site without you realising. Check in settings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top