Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Re: Retirement

The folks who adapt readily to retirement are probably the one's who spent 70% of the working day, looking out the window, you know who you are.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The folks who adapt readily to retirement are probably the one's who spent 70% of the working day, looking out the window, you know who you are.
I worked damn hard and adapted well to retirement, No windows for me to look out of other than 20 odd years of a BT van window
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 04:28 PM

You are so wrong spitfire. I retired after working full time from the age of 15 to 67. One day, after yet another train cancellation, I just decided I had given enough to work.

Years ago, when we were young, children came along and paying a mortgage and other bills, a big chunk of HWMO's salary was being taken out towards private pensions. There were quite a few times when I felt resentful about that money being paid out. Not any more! Now that we have both retired and have no money worries, I am eternally grateful that he was the sensible one who ensured we could enjoy our retirement.

We no longer bother with holidays abroad, we have a campervan which we jump into and enjoy travelling anywhere we fancy in the UK with our two pooches.

Loving retirement, especially when we wake up and see it pouring with rain outside with the wind howling.

Time to put the kettle on again.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 04:32 PM

Hi

I seem to have less time now then when I was working.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
You are so wrong spitfire. I retired after working full time from the age of 15 to 67. One day, after yet another train cancellation, I just decided I had given enough to work.

Years ago, when we were young, children came along and paying a mortgage and other bills, a big chunk of HWMO's salary was being taken out towards private pensions. There were quite a few times when I felt resentful about that money being paid out. Not any more! Now that we have both retired and have no money worries, I am eternally grateful that he was the sensible one who ensured we could enjoy our retirement.

We no longer bother with holidays abroad, we have a campervan which we jump into and enjoy travelling anywhere we fancy in the UK with our two pooches.

Loving retirement, especially when we wake up and see it pouring with rain outside with the wind howling.

Time to put the kettle on again.
I like to think I have one eye on the future, that's why I never sold my Pushbike.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It ISN'T a pension though. It is a State Age Related Benefit (SARB) and in my opinion should have been abandoned years ago and replaced with means tested Benefits. That way support would be focused where it is needed.

It falls me when I hear or read about people claiming to have "paid into" some thing as if it were a private pension fund.

They haven't.
Call it what you like, SARB, Pension, Benefit or whatever, as long as I get a dose of it every month I am happy.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:26 PM

It ISN'T a pension though. It is a State Age Related Benefit (SARB) and in my opinion should have been abandoned years ago and replaced with means tested Benefits. That way support would be focused where it is needed.

It falls me when I hear or read about people claiming to have "paid into" some thing as if it were a private pension fund.

They haven't.
You might have missed the fact that anyone on a Company Pension will still be paying tax, on that pension, so it is "means tested".

I've been retired approaching 27 years and have been required to pay income Tax, with a tax code, during all of that time.

So, for all of those 27 years I've been paying in tax very close to the amount given back as The "State Pension".

Like many others, I've taken very little back out.

How about you?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:08 PM

They haven't.
So what did we pay in for all our lives? Fun?

I paid the full stamp all my life when l could have opted for the married woman’s stamp. I’m not sure there were any benefits until l became pregnant with a shock baby at the age of 40 when l got Maternity payments whilst l was off for six months.
I also paid the top whack everything when l worked in my ex partner’s companies.

Yet, if l had never worked, never contributed, l’d be on more now.
It makes you wonder if things are radically wrong?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 08:23 PM

I like to think I have one eye on the future, that's why I never sold my Pushbike.
Good on you!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

09-12-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Good on you!
There may be one more Recycle in me.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top