Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2015, 10:51 PM

Re: Driving after 70.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Experience is worth a lot more than words in a book on many occasions. No matter how much someone knows about driving from books it cannot match the many years of experience many of us have.
Of course not...but we as drivers are responsible for keeping up to date with the rules of the road.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
The day I took my driving test there were 3 guys at the test centre and I was the only one who passed first time!
We all develop our own way of driving and for many it's not by following the highway code, that goes out of the window when they've passed their test.

It's said the younger generation are more likely to cause accidents than our generation because many are speed freaks and I'd agree with that
If I was a driving examiner, and there was three blokes and one Bird, I know who I would pass.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2015, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
As drivers we are responsible to keep up and be aware of the changes and additions to the rules and laws of the road.

The Highway Code is not just for learners.
I'm aware of that and if there were major changes to the Highway Code then I'm sure we'd all know about them although many would still prefer to live in ignorance
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Experience is worth a lot more than words in a book on many occasions. No matter how much someone knows about driving from books it cannot match the many years of experience many of us have.
Just because someone has driven in a certain way for a long time doesn't mean what they're doing is actually correct. For one quick example, at roundabouts I find only about 1 in 5 drivers knows how to indicate properly. My stepdad had driven for about 50 years and he was the shittiest driver I ever knew. How he hadn't killed someone I'll never know.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Just because someone has driven in a certain way for a long time doesn't mean what they're doing is actually correct. For one quick example, at roundabouts I find only about 1 in 5 drivers knows how to indicate properly. My stepdad had driven for about 50 years and he was the shittiest driver I ever knew. How he hadn't killed someone I'll never know.
True I see many people who have no idea I live on top of a hill and number of drivers force their way down the hill and not give way to let traffic up is amazingly ignorant of them both rules of the road and common courtesy say allow people to ascend first.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I'm aware of that and if there were major changes to the Highway Code then I'm sure we'd all know about them although many would still prefer to live in ignorance
There have been changes...but those who prefer to 'live in ignorance' are the ones that are liable to commit a driving offence because they failed to keep up to date.
Pats
Lincolnshire

28-06-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If I was a driving examiner, and there was three blokes and one Bird, I know who I would pass.
Birds have to take driving tests?...well we learn something everyday.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 02:46 PM

I didn't decide to learn to drive till I was about 45. I did this so I could take my mother out, otherwise she would have been stuck in the house. It also came in useful when my husband was ill, I could do the driving. After he died I managed to keep the car on. I am nearly 71, and am hoping for a few more years to be able to drive for myself. Mind you, I don't go far
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:16 PM

I do think that 70's can be the new 60's. People in their 70's now look fab and so young minded. Times have changed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
There have been changes...but those who prefer to 'live in ignorance' are the ones that are liable to commit a driving offence because they failed to keep up to date.
Such as ?

I always assumed they would be telling everyone when they change the rules.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top