Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 02:18 PM

Re: psychics and mediums

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
A proper medium would not tell you that, because they can't do a thing about it, if it is going to happen it will.

Absolutely right Wrinkly. Me suspects you have more knowledge of these things than you let on.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Absolutely right Wrinkly. Me suspects you have more knowledge of these things than you let on.
My wife and I have been practising spiritualists for over 40 years.
I do know there are charlatans out there that is why I say don't feed any information to a medium you pay for, they will use it.
A genuine mediums don't do that, they are unlikely to charge other than expenses if required.
If you go to a spiritualist church with an open mind, you can rest assured no one will try and dupe you in anyway. The only money that should be paid is a donation to the church, and that is only if you can help.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
My wife and I have been practising spiritualists for over 40 years.
I do know there are charlatans out there that is why I say don't feed any information to a medium you pay for, they will use it.
A genuine mediums don't do that, they are unlikely to charge other than expenses if required.
If you go to a spiritualist church with an open mind, you can rest assured no one will try and dupe you in anyway. The only money that should be paid is a donation to the church, and that is only if you can help.

Aha. Thought so.
I have been a member of our local spiritualist church for the last 18 years also, so I understand exactly what you are saying.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 04:34 PM

After I discovered I was interested in spiritualism, mum told me my late grandmother who died during the war was a medium, and in those days they were imprisoned for being one.
This is the only good picture I have of her.

Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2015, 05:07 PM

On a slightly more jocular note I used to play `mind reading` with some of my psychology undergrads. They held up a card,facing them and I read it.

Little did they know at the start that some cheaper makes of playing cards are see through enough if held with the correct lighting. I bought some extra sets to demonstrate that I could read even a previously unopened pack.

The moral?

1-psychologists are weird

2-There is almost always a rational explanation.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Went to a psychic last week
but am ok with myself and life.
Those 2 statements are imo quite contradictory.

There is no reason whatsoever going to see a so called medium except going undercover to expose them Derren Brown style.

If you are opening yourself up to the "notion" that a medium might be able to tell you something about yourself or that you might learn something you didn't know, then you are in effect putting yourself in a weak position which effectively says "I'm unsure of myself, unsure of my place in the universe and I'm looking for someone else to tell me what to do"

Certain people will ruthlessly exploit those kind of weaknesses.

She gave me the names of all my brothers and mother and father which was interesting.
So could I if I had time with your friends in advance of meeting you and did a little Googling !

I had a discussion on another forum a year ago with a middle age lady who didn't see anything wrong with giving basic personal details out on forums, nor about posting that she was going on holidays for 2 weeks. After 30 mins of basic internet work I told her what her telephone number was, her address, what her kids names were, that her neighbours had complained about her application to have a conservatory built and that her caravan was parked on her drive. She was mortified !

In all seriousness, "cold reading" which is what "mediums" do is as old as the hills and yet still takes in unwitting people the world over.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

02-07-2015, 10:27 PM

So you think a respected medium on stage honestly has been able to google everybody in his 'audience' before he begins speaking, Realist?

That is your opinion of course, but not mine.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 01:54 AM

My friend booked up for me prior to me going to stay for a few days. It's no real big deal to me , just sparked me into wondering maybe , just maybe my move to being near my g children could be on the horizon and possibly Mr right (or wrong) is out there .
I hope YOU don't make the move to be near your grandchildren because the psychic coached you!
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 04:37 AM

Sadly I knew somebody who was a psychic...until she found more lucrative employment as a UPS driver...I feel there's a lot of shams out there.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

03-07-2015, 06:31 AM

Our NHS employ spiritual healers, and the police force will act on mediums information but won't divulge their source.
I know it makes me feel good, I think those that that don't are sceptical and are needing proof and are deep down frightened of death.
I would suggest that sceptics read the Corinthians in the bible, read it with spiritualism in mind.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top