Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 12:54 PM

Re: School girl skirts

Just heard the head teacher interviewed when she said it distracted the male teachers she actually meant it distracted from teaching when they had to continually tell the girls to adjust their skirts. They start the day in a decent length and as the day goes on roll them up so they barely cover their bums by mid afternoon. I can see her point but sounds more like lack of discipline than anything, I don't think we would have got away with being caught twice the punishments would have been too severe. Still had caning when I was at school
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 12:55 PM

depends how short the skirts are - if the girls when sitting expose their knickers or God forbid don't wear any at all then that is certainly distractive to all - the OS didn't state whether the school was co-ed and had co-ed classes or give a link to prove authenticity.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 01:01 PM

I will never forget an incidence in my co-ed days when we had an exchange french teacher [female] who indeed wore a mini type skirt and low cut blouse. There were a group of very randy lads in our class who all claimed the front row desks!

each time the teacher turned to use the blackboard four of them shuffled their desks and chairs forward 4 inches [approx] .The teacher didn't notice this event to start with but it continued until she was unable to turn to the blackboard or forwards - the rest of us were in tears of laughter of course!
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 02:37 PM

One other thought - If young girls in their formative years are taught that by wearing a skirt, male teachers cannot control their emotions, then what happens when they reach school leaving age and enter the big world. If they go out wearing a skirt or a dress, do they expect to be set on by any man they meet?

Arthur
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 02:48 PM

Right.

So, who heard the radio interview with the Deputy Head?

As ever, the papers have not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The school has, indeed, changed the uniform to mean that girls and boys now wear 'business-style' trousers. The reason for this is that they felt that they were wasting valuable teaching time, time when the pupils might be gaining something useful, by constantly having to speak to some of the girls about their skirt length.

The Deputy Head said that he, a dad in his fifties, was unabashed about the disciplinary talks (other than, as previously said, feeling it was a terrible waste of time) but that there were occasions when younger, newly qualified teachers tried to tick off a girl over her skirt, only to receive the rejoinder that the teacher should not be looking at her legs. Sounds like a no-win situation for them

I think the school has been quite pragmatic about this

I hate the way our once-respected media twists the truth and I often wonder why we seem to swallow so much of their rubbish? Haven't we learnt by now?
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 03:04 PM

hard to say really on this , i used to hoist mine up' we all did' and it was no where as short as it is today 'some girls do go OTT...with the skirt 'and u have to remember -that its a school of learning not who looks the best and trendist---i can say that now iam older lol,i think pupils run the schools now teachers have little say -big change from my years - and i do know what some teens girls can be like .. surley we havnt forgotten our youth days ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Right.

So, who heard the radio interview with the Deputy Head?

As ever, the papers have not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

The school has, indeed, changed the uniform to mean that girls and boys now wear 'business-style' trousers. The reason for this is that they felt that they were wasting valuable teaching time, time when the pupils might be gaining something useful, by constantly having to speak to some of the girls about their skirt length.

The Deputy Head said that he, a dad in his fifties, was unabashed about the disciplinary talks (other than, as previously said, feeling it was a terrible waste of time) but that there were occasions when younger, newly qualified teachers tried to tick off a girl over her skirt, only to receive the rejoinder that the teacher should not be looking at her legs. Sounds like a no-win situation for them

I think the school has been quite pragmatic about this

I hate the way our once-respected media twists the truth and I often wonder why we seem to swallow so much of their rubbish? Haven't we learnt by now?
As I said earlier they twisted what was said. Same in another thread today too, makes me wonder why they cannot just report the news why do they have to make it up ?
ToffeeCup
Hertfordshire
ToffeeCup is female 

05-07-2015, 08:04 PM

The person responsible for reporting this at the school should have said that they prefer decorum within the school regarding the length of the skirts. The male teachers should not have been mentioned in the statement and skirts should not be banned.

Regarding the girls wearing trousers as school uniform, I have seen the length of the trousers hanging over the shoes dragging over the ground, frayed, looking disrespectful towards the school. The schools should also pick up on this!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
only to receive the rejoinder that the teacher should not be looking at her legs.
Are you seriously saying that kids can answer back a teacher like that these days

My God no wonder the state school system is in such a mess and no one can find people for the jobs that are available.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top