Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 08:23 AM

More about illegal imigrants

In the papers today is a report that the government is to give Syria and Africa apayment of £317m in an attempt to stop the immigrants at source.
Who's pockets will the money end up in? Also how many potential immigrants do they think it will stop?

Arthur
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 08:38 AM

Re: More about illegal imigrants

I guess they are as puzzled as we are at how to stop it, chucking money at it might work or might not.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 08:49 AM

Use the Lottery Conversion Factor, to give perspective, a couple of Roll Overs mean a Euro pay out of £100m, so, could the combined wealth of three Roll over recipients, change the course of world wide events, probably not.
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

03-07-2015, 09:12 AM

I concur with the cynicism, whose pockets indeed. I agree with the broad aim, deal with the issue at source. However; surely as a G7 nation we could do our bit and cherry pick families who are fleeing political/religious persecution in Syria, such as Christian Arabs and other minorities. Many of these are professionals; teachers, Doctors, engineers with families and children whose skills would benefit us, in return for their desired refuge, quid pro quo as it were.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2015, 09:57 AM

It is an issue I am glad I do not have to resolve-spongers coming here to claim benefits or refugees fleeing a country where they could be tortured and killed?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2015, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
It is an issue I am glad I do not have to resolve-spongers coming here to claim benefits or refugees fleeing a country where they could be tortured and killed?
But surely it's ever so simple, if you really feel you are being persecuted then the FIRST point of call is the embassy of the country where you wish to seek asylum.

If you can't even be bothered to seek out the British embassy in your home country then your claim to asylum is definately dodgy.

The British embassy is much closer to the situation than anyone in the UK further more they will know about murder and torture and if it might apply to the man or women knocking on their door.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 08:23 AM

I understand that British Embassies in troubled countries are spied upon by the internal secret police - do you think that may affect ones ability to approach them?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I understand that British Embassies in troubled countries are spied upon by the internal secret police - do you think that may affect ones ability to approach them?
Yes in some countries visiting the embassy can be a death sentence. I think some live in a perfect world when they comment sadly the world is not quite so good and kind when you get into some of these countries.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 06:46 PM

In the first three months of this year alone, more than 185,000 immigrants have travelled to Europe to cash in on soft-touch Britain – a staggering 86% increase on last year
• More than a fifth of foreigners granted citizenship in the European country in the past two years alone, have been given British passports
• In 2013, 985,000 Third World immigrants were granted citizenship in Europe
• 207,500 of them were given UK passports – the most since records began in 1962
• Only 3% of UK citizenship applications were refused in 2013, reigniting criticism that British conditions are too soft
“It’s a clear outcome of Mass Immigration which started in 1998 and has continued,” Lord Green of Deddington, spokesman for Migration Watch UK, stated referring to Tony Blair’s policy.
“It’s very hard to see how we can integrate new arrivals into our country at a rate of this kind.”
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 06:51 PM

It's all very well us taking skilled people like doctors and nurses etc. in with open arms but, surely this adds to the problems in the countries they leave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top