Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Re: TV licence fee

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Perhaps they could do some kind of pay per view scheme or have a BBC package on main providers like Sky or Virgin and get their money through them.
That would work - and would be fairer.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
It is time for Auntie to start advertising then we could all get it free.
Not complaining myself had a free one for the last 3 years.
I enjoy watching the BBC, it is the only company that does not fill your head with the hard sell. We are bombarded constantly in the post, on the telephone, on the radio and TV and even people turning up at the door telling you why you need their product. I wake up in the night with stupid jingles reverberating round my head. At the supermarket names jump out at me from the constant brainwashing I have received while trying to obtain some kind of entertainment and relaxation from my TV and radio.

The only oasis is the BBC, I would happily pay half as much again for the privilege of not having to listen to 'Moon River' or 'Don't you wish you're girlfriend was hot like me' one more time. The BBC do a sterling job selling their programs and expertise across the world, which makes it one of the most successful companies we all own.

When they do sport, they do it well and it should be law that the BBC show every major sporting activity without the need to have to compete with Sky, Virgin etc only a nominal fee should be required by the BBC to secure the screening rights; they can not compete with the almost God like status and multi-national super wealthy, greedy, broadcasters who are destroying our sporting heritage by offering ridiculous sums of money.

The BBC are over a barrel, if they don't pay the outrageous salaries demanded by some celebrities they will lose them to Sky etc, and therefore no longer remain competitive.
I concede that the Beeb don't please everyone with their programs, but they should remain a constant British institution we can all rely on.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Bumping my own thoughts here-I`m happy to pay my fee. But I am not going to remind them it is due a third time.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 12:25 PM

The BBC originally wanted to bring TV licence fees inline with Council Tax - that gives you some idea of how they see themselves.............a British Corporate Body!

Catchup TV is currently available to anyone with a computer AND broadband! The fact that the broadband companies are making money out of catchup and not BBC has started all this. IF the BBC want to introduce controlling licences which become part of every day life, then they should allow the British public voting rights as to who should run the BBC............AND how much they should be paid!
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

07-07-2015, 01:26 PM

The Government control what the license fee is and "this" Government are more likely lower the fee as they've scores to settle with the BBC owing to its pro-Labour bias. Many Tories want to abolish funding altogether. I agree with the accusations of bias, however; I would want it abolished as it's essentially a Poll-Tax. I think this move, making the Beeb fund free Licences for the over 75's is the first salvo in a campaign to reform the Old dinosaur.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steven with a V ->
The Government control what the license fee is and "this" Government are more likely lower the fee as they've scores to settle with the BBC owing to its pro-Labour bias. Many Tories want to abolish funding altogether. I agree with the accusations of bias, however; I would want it abolished as it's essentially a Poll-Tax. I think this move, making the Beeb fund free Licences for the over 75's is the first salvo in a campaign to reform the Old dinasaur.
Yes I agree with that
Its a pity all the TV companies will not reduce the ridiculous fees paid to the celebs. If they all did this, things would be a lot easier on them, the money saved could go to better programming - the celebs would have to take it on the chin - where else would they go - wont happen of course, far too simple a solution ...........
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

07-07-2015, 03:00 PM

Ridiculous fees indeed, not only celebs but managers and execs. The BBC is like an institutional Ponzi scheme where senior staff are overly rewarded, golden hellos, golden goodbyes, risible accountability all on the taxpayers dime.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Ridiculous fees indeed, not only celebs but managers and execs. The BBC is like an institutional Ponzi scheme where senior staff are overly rewarded, golden hellos, golden goodbyes, risible accountability all on the taxpayers dime.
+1

Endless regurgitations of plays done by public shcool arties who have all had the same education and read the same old books and via the bbc get to prance about with "their version" of such n such book/play they read in school,year after year of the same mindless rubbish.

Not a single original new idea has come out of the bbc in decades,same old drivel dressed up with a new luvvy and theme each and every year.

They should be put out to tender,made a public company and fend for themselves and get off the uk populations back.

Obviously theyd be bankrupt by the end of the first year,and a large amount of luvvies would then have to enquire about getting real jobs,somewhere else.

Nothing will change though,they went to school with half the goverment and they are assured being propped up by the same old boys network until the end of time.

Yep,57yrs a few weeks ago and im definately turning into my dad..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Very true
Steven with a V
Cardiff Valleys
Steven with a V is male 

07-07-2015, 04:01 PM

I utterly concur (and the dad bit rings true for me and I'm 50!). I think the BBC could learn a lot from HBO in the States who make a stunning amount of great Television Series and aren't shy of upsetting the over sensitive and are censorship light.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top