Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:52 PM

What is the purpose?

I don't want to sound insensitive, but after watching the news tonight with its extensive coverage of the commemorative activities re 7/7 I sort of wondered what the point of having such ceremonies is.
The US did it every year in memory of 9/11, and I got the impression that it was a way of reminding themselves or the world that they had been attacked by terrorists, in part to justify their subsequent actions.
I can more easily understand such remembrance type ceremonies on the first anniversary of such an event, but ten years on it seems unnecessary to me. The UK seems to be copying the US in this, and I just wonder if the current terrorists get a kick out of it.
We have, quite rightly in my opinion, Remembrance Day services annually to honour those who fought and died for their country, but I cannot equate them with those who were unfortunate enough to have been killed by terrorist bombs.
Am I alone in thinking this way?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Re: What is the purpose?

Isn't it a mark of respect for the victims?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:59 PM

It's a tough one, I sometimes think it might be better to let things fade and just be remembered by the families of those who were affected. Then again, we can't allow people to forget what the terrorists are capable of and the suffering that's still going on.
I do, however, think we copy the Americans in many things, I suppose this is just one more way to stand 'shoulder to shoulder' Hate that expression..
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Isn't it a mark of respect for the victims?
But why should we only show a mark of respect for the victims of terrorism when we don't do so for others that have died or been killed? Just because there was a group of them rather than a steady trickle? Did we have such commemorative occasions 10 years on from eg IRA bombings?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-07-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
It's a tough one, I sometimes think it might be better to let things fade and just be remembered by the families of those who were affected. Then again, we can't allow people to forget what the terrorists are capable of and the suffering that's still going on.
I do, however, think we copy the Americans in many things, I suppose this is just one more way to stand 'shoulder to shoulder' Hate that expression..
Yes, I wonder if the bit in bold is really the main incentive, and if so it feels a bit harsh to be using the victims as an aide memoire, so to speak.

If I was convinced that the surviving families got some benefit from it I might think differently.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
If I was convinced that the surviving families got some benefit from it I might think differently.
I think that's the general idea isn't it?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-07-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I think that's the general idea isn't it?
I'd be very surprised if it were. I think it is much more to do with political statements.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I don't want to sound insensitive, but after watching the news tonight with its extensive coverage of the commemorative activities re 7/7 I sort of wondered what the point of having such ceremonies is.
The US did it every year in memory of 9/11, and I got the impression that it was a way of reminding themselves or the world that they had been attacked by terrorists, in part to justify their subsequent actions.
I can more easily understand such remembrance type ceremonies on the first anniversary of such an event, but ten years on it seems unnecessary to me. The UK seems to be copying the US in this, and I just wonder if the current terrorists get a kick out of it.
We have, quite rightly in my opinion, Remembrance Day services annually to honour those who fought and died for their country, but I cannot equate them with those who were unfortunate enough to have been killed by terrorist bombs.
Am I alone in thinking this way?
Ania I agree.
Remembrance day is commemorating those who gave their lives for our freedom and a different thing entirely to marking acts of terrorism.

I feel so sad for the families who lost loved ones in a random act but I feel that any commemoration should be private and I know that is what I would wish had I been involved.

I also wondered about the extremists, are they getting satisfaction from seeing other sympathisers handiwork being marked as an occasion .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

07-07-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ania I agree.
Remembrance day is commemorating those who gave their lives for our freedom and a different thing entirely to marking acts of terrorism.

I feel so sad for the families who lost loved ones in a random act but I feel that any commemoration should be private and I know that is what I would wish had I been involved.
That's what I feel, Meg. And I am uncomfortable with these events being used (as I see it) for political reasons.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:38 PM

I was thinking that when I heard they're going to make a memorial for the poor people who died last week. I can't help thinking there should be a memorial garden somewhere for everyone not lots of different ones perhaps a stone plaque that their names can be added to. Every one would know where it is if they want to pay respects.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top