Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:41 PM

Re: What is the purpose?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I was thinking that when I heard they're going to make a memorial for the poor people who died last week. I can't help thinking there should be a memorial garden somewhere for everyone not lots of different ones perhaps a stone plaque that their names can be added to. Every one would know where it is if they want to pay respects.
Yes, I agree. It's like a knee jerk reaction when a terrorist event occurs to announce some memorial. If I had a family member shot and killed on the beach in Tunisia by a terrorist I personally would not see it as a national event, but a very personal one. I don't think a public memorial would help me one bit.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:44 PM

I don't think I'd want one either, I would rather the money be spent on fighting against terrorism.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:52 PM

Me too ...I really dont like this "need" for remembering all these events ...Im certain it was a tragedy for every family involved but for me personally if I had any family members involved in a terrorist situation having it remembered in Public every so often would be horrendous for me as Im a very private person and feel grief especially isnt for public viewing
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 09:32 PM

I agree with TessA, just as there is one war memorial for those who fell during conflict there should be one terrorism memporial so that all of those who die at the hands of terrorism can be remembered in one place.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:49 PM

Having watched the highlights of the service in St. Paul's and heard the testaments of the members of some of the families I found it very moving and it didn't come across in the slightest bit as a political event, in fact it came across as personal and very dignified. There were many families I'm sure who weren't there and didn't choose to remember their loved ones in this way.
A 10th anniversary is always a landmark event, I don't expect it to be an annual event, not as big as this anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I don't want to sound insensitive, but after watching the news tonight with its extensive coverage of the commemorative activities re 7/7 I sort of wondered what the point of having such ceremonies is.
The US did it every year in memory of 9/11, and I got the impression that it was a way of reminding themselves or the world that they had been attacked by terrorists, in part to justify their subsequent actions.
I can more easily understand such remembrance type ceremonies on the first anniversary of such an event, but ten years on it seems unnecessary to me. The UK seems to be copying the US in this, and I just wonder if the current terrorists get a kick out of it.
We have, quite rightly in my opinion, Remembrance Day services annually to honour those who fought and died for their country, but I cannot equate them with those who were unfortunate enough to have been killed by terrorist bombs.
Am I alone in thinking this way?

I feel much the same, Ania, and yes, I think we do copy the US.
As you say, 10 years on, and the fact that we have been 'remembering' for that long, makes me wonder if it will now have to continue, because what would reactions be if it was suddenly stopped next year? I bet the terrorists rejoice every year when they see it.

What about that poor man, Lee Rigby who was beheaded, will they do the same for him every year? There are so many atrocities now, and it will get worse before it gets better, so how will it be decided what to 'remember' and what not - and who makes these decisions anyway?

I kind of feel its a private, family thing, and I imagine if I had lost someone in those awful circumstances, I think I would rather remember the date quietly, in my own way, than in front of journalists cameras . But that's just me.

?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 08:59 AM

I wonder how they pick and chose who to remember and who gets a minute silence etc, I lost people in the IRA bombing no memorials for them, no minutes silence. And rightly so, the families remember the people who murderer them probably do too and the emergency services but we don't need national services or minutes silences to remind us.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 09:04 AM

I agree, Julie.

I also find it weird that people leave flowers and/or fluffy toys at the scene of road accidents.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I wonder how they pick and chose who to remember and who gets a minute silence etc, I lost people in the IRA bombing no memorials for them, no minutes silence. And rightly so, the families remember the people who murderer them probably do too and the emergency services but we don't need national services or minutes silences to remind us.
I wondered this too Julie, many people have been lost to terrorist activity over the years including individuals, does their loss count for less because they were alone and not in a group.

I feel desperately sorry for all those who have lost someone as the result of a random act by misguided terrorists but we really can't mark every event individually or where does it stop.
I have no doubt there will be more terrible events to come
and this really should be thought through by those in power.

The National Memorial Arboretum commemorates not just those who were lost serving their country but police/rescue services/charity workers and even some children apparently.

I think a small section there dedicated to all victims of terrorism would be appropriate including those who died in Bali, Tunisia etc and individually executed by terrorist grops and there have been a number of those over the years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I agree, Julie.

I also find it weird that people leave flowers and/or fluffy toys at the scene of road accidents.
ST this practice is really getting out of hand with memorials now springing up on the roadside.

I have seen a number of stone plaques with flower pots similar to those found on graves by the roadside, the latest last week when I was in Cornwall.
On the A449 not far from here there is quite a large memorial to four people killed in a car crash. Two lots of teenagers were having a race on the duel carriageway which resulted in the crash. One 19-year-old driver who survived was charged with causing death by dangerous driving. It was a terrible thing but I really don't think the memoral should be there.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top