Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 09:54 AM

Selfi Jihad - what a great way!

Humor can often bridge the gap or soften the blow - who knows where this will go but in Saudi is being accepted

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...by-mocking-is/
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Re: Selfi Jihad - what a great way!

See nothing funny in this at all
Disrespectful to victims and totally sickening to even attempt to find 'humour' in IS
GROSS !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 10:11 AM

They appear to be laughing at ISIS not with them and IMO if they can stay alive long enough (they have made themselves targets) this may well be a better way to treat ISIS than we do.
We made fun of the IRA and there has always been a black humour about WW2 Hitler etc particularly came in for a lot of digs and laughs.

We have a history of this and it's not the same as laughing at the victims at all.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They appear to be laughing at ISIS not with them and IMO if they can stay alive long enough (they have made themselves targets) this may well be a better way to treat ISIS than we do.
We made fun of the IRA and there has always been a black humour about WW2 Hitler etc particularly came in for a lot of digs and laughs.

We have a history of this and it's not the same as laughing at the victims at all.

There may be a history - doesn't make it right or appealing
You have your opinion - I have mine
Distasteful to me - in the extreme
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
See nothing funny in this at all
Disrespectful to victims and totally sickening to even attempt to find 'humour' in IS
GROSS !
you don't understand the arab mind - I have lived amongst them - you are viewing it from a myopic view point but you are of course entitled to your myoptic opnion

did you read ALL the web story or just scan it?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-07-2015, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

good viewpoint and comments Julie - very balanced - I agree with you
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

10-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Distasteful to me - in the extreme
you seems to have extreme views too?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 10:39 AM

I donīt see it as laughing at the victims at all. It comes across to me more as showing up ISIS as a bunch of Neanderthals who are incapable of rational and logical thinking. Humour has kept many people sane in dire circumstances, it keeps the spirits up and can give the courage to go on.
I too think Julie has given some very valid and reasoned points. You need only to think about the very many comedy programmes that have been made about wars, Hogans Heros, Dadīs Army, Allo Allo, to see that humour exists even in such circumstances. I am quite sure however that this man has put himself in serious danger but I still think "well done for showing ISIS up for what they really are".
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 03:30 PM

Perhaps humour will do something to make people see how ridiculous these people are. I don't know, nothing else seems to work. I do think some of it can be seen as disrespectful but, so was The Life of Brian to some. The thing is its all too raw at the moment for some. I have family in Dubai, I'll ask if they've watched it.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 03:34 PM

These murdering swine should be ridiculed I agree...but is it a good idea to taunt them on the WWW?...EEK!...They sure scare the hell outta Me!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top