Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Re: Selfi Jihad - what a great way!

I must admit I didn't shed any tears when I read yesterday that 46 (I think it was) Isis men died after being poisoned at an end of Ramadam meal.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Perhaps humour will do something to make people see how ridiculous these people are. I don't know, nothing else seems to work. I do think some of it can be seen as disrespectful but, so was The Life of Brian to some. The thing is its all too raw at the moment for some. I have family in Dubai, I'll ask if they've watched it.
Tess - I'm not talking disrespectful in the religious sense but to victims
If it were WW2 and articles were going around in an attempt to be funny such as
Hitler - 'Gas chambers ! - I'm fed up with using them to kill them off - come up with something else'

Its on the lines of what I read above - funny - not to me, but I'll leave it there .................
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 05:15 PM

I can see why someone might find it distasteful or disrespectful .. and I wouldn't call them myopic.
I'm not too sure a bereaved relative of one of the victims ISIS publicly executed would be rolling around in their chair laughing.
ISIS are that perverse they might even celebrate the fact that someone is broadcasting their notoriety... and doing their PR work for them.

I'm glad it was a Saudi who did it.
Imagine if a Western game show had done similar ... there would be accusations of Islamophobia screeched from the mosque rooftops. And the inevitable repercussions.

And it's not quite the same thing as comedies which satirise WW2. Dad's Army is one thing. I doubt anyone , even now, would laugh if there was a comedy show herding Jews like cattle into a gas chamber.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 05:26 PM

I don't personally think it's funny, but, there will always be "gallows" humour. It's sometimes the way people cope with horrendous situations. If you think about how Mash used to make folks laugh even though the subject matter was so serious. Like I said, it's all too raw at the moment. Also I think there's a culture difference, in some countries they're cutting off people's hands for theft and stoning people for infidelity, they're not as sensitive as us so they probably wonder why we're not laughing.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 05:19 PM

I think the trick here is perhaps that they have married comedy to tragedy in order to draw out the insanity in the situation. The British Comedy film, "Four Lions" did this brilliantly. In places it was hilariously funny, in others horrifyingly tragic. Real life tends to be like that. No-one watching it would have been pleased when the hapless Jihadis blew themselves up at the end, just saddened at the tragic waste of young lives in a ridiculous cause. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1341167/
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
These murdering swine should be ridiculed I agree...but is it a good idea to taunt them on the WWW?...EEK!...They sure scare the hell outta Me!!
oh yea well they are taunting the west with the beheading videos aren't they???
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I must admit I didn't shed any tears when I read yesterday that 46 (I think it was) Isis men died after being poisoned at an end of Ramadam meal.
now that was really funny any video clips - would love to see them dying clutchin their murderous guts!!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

14-07-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Tess - I'm not talking disrespectful in the religious sense but to victims
If it were WW2 and articles were going around in an attempt to be funny such as
Hitler - 'Gas chambers ! - I'm fed up with using them to kill them off - come up with something else'

Its on the lines of what I read above - funny - not to me, but I'll leave it there .................
yes please leave NOW Patsy>>>>>>>>>
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2015, 08:11 AM

The latest Jesus and Mo cartoon is an excellent example of using black humour to attack horrible situations. (Jesus and Mo is a cartoon strip featuring imaginary conversations between Jesus and Mohammed, often in the pub with an atheist barmaid)

Some may find it offensive, but I find it funny, hard-hitting satire!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

15-07-2015, 08:20 AM

great stuff I like it - we should be able to cope with all exposures of this type - directly offending any religion wil cause problems but satirring it like this IMO reduces the offence and makes us realize life can be funny!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top