Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 06:49 AM

Gender Pay Differential

This has raised it's head again, can anyone think of a job where there is a differential?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:06 AM

Re: Gender Pay Differential

Dunno about a specific "job", Spitfire

But I wonder if this apparent disparity in the USA occurs elsewhere ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-1...-check/5712770
" ... a 2010 study .... drawn from the 2008 United States census ...
showed that in some US cities, childless women under the age of 30 were earning up to 20 per cent more than men.
In 147 of the largest 150 cities, the corresponding figure was 8 per cent more than men."

In the Australian Public Service, it seems to me that there are more and more women reaching at least middle-management.
I wonder if the numbers might be even more balanced if fewer women chose family life over career.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:24 AM

It has always been postulated that there is imbalance in some executive positions, but the news always suggests that this situation is prolific amongst mainstream occupations, and is indeed newsworthy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:29 AM

I always thought it was already illegal to have differential pay rates between the sexes doing identical jobs, and if it is then why hasn't it been enforced.... confused:
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

14-07-2015, 07:33 AM

Same here plantman.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I always thought it was already illegal to have differential pay rates between the sexes doing identical jobs, and if it is then why hasn't it been enforced.... confused:
I think this is so Barry but seemingly problems arise when different wages are being paid not for identical jobs but what are considered jobs of equal value as in the Sainsburys case which I heard being discussed on the radio yesterday...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-floor-workers
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Pay differentials exist within genders as well, but if the work is the same you should be payed the same as long as you perform the same. No matter what sex you are.

Back in the real world though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 10:16 AM

I don't think they measure this correctly I don't know anyone who hasn't had equal pay for identical job for many years, if the job isn't identical then it's up to individuals to negotiate their pay.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 05:33 PM

I think that the problem (if it is still a problem) tends to be artificially exacerbated by the kind of statistics used to explore it. If you take the average of the collective wages/salaries of all working women and compare it with that of men, of course you will get the idea that there is some kind of gender-based inequity. However, the working population of women is much more likely to include (a) women whose career earnings are reduced by time spent on childrearing and part-time work following childrearing; (b) men working during the years between 60 and 65 at an age when women have retired. Given these factors, it appears that there is a gender differential, but that isn't the true picture.
Indeed, amongst younger people, the likelihood is that the gender disparity is the other way and that on average, young women earn more than young men. Why? Because since the mid 1990's more women than men have been attending university and attaining a degree level qualification. As a result they are earning more than their less qualified male counterparts. I look forward to feminists campaigning on behalf of downtrodden males when in 20 or so years time men's wages/salaries are on average lower than womens.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 07:45 PM

That's news to me, I thought that was all hammered out years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top