Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2019, 11:03 PM

Re: Central Heating Flushing?

@Tedc If your boiler is only 8 years old, chances are that you do not need a new one. Naturally, I cannot see or test your boiler / system and by the sounds of it, a system flush would certainly help. Unfortunately, I have retired and miles from Berkshire. Although BG are more expensive than others, if I remember correctly, you get a lifetime guarantee after flushing, as long as you stay in your house.
I would definitely recommend a system filter and I preferred this one :
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...39.vGi_qsTHHLk

Another one for you:
https://heatingforce.co.uk/blog/magn...ystem-filters/

After your system has been flushed, your system should be balanced and goes like this:
1) Fully open all the lockshield valves and flow valves on the radiators.
2) Switch on the central heating.
3) Make a note of the sequence in which each radiator warms up.
4) When all the radiators have warmed up - they don't have to be fully hot, all your noting down is the order in which they get warm, switch off the central heating and wait for the radiators to fully cool down.
5) Leaving all the flow valves open, fully close the lockshield valves and open them again in the order they warm up, i.e. No.1 open the valve by a ¼ turn; No.2 valve by a ½ turn; No.3 valve by a ¾ turn and so on until you reach the end of the circuit.
6) Now you can go back to each radiator and close the flow valves or set your thermostatic valves to suit comfort requirements.
Doing it this way ensures that the rad nearest the boiler and therefore getting the hottest water, doesn't steal it all from the others, each radiator will now get progressively more water passing through it until the last rad is now receiving a balanced amount of hot water.
Thermostatic radiator valves are ALWAYS recommended, as is a room thermostat installed correctly and boiler servicing.
I hope that this helps
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
@Tedc If your boiler is only 8 years old, chances are that you do not need a new one. Naturally, I cannot see or test your boiler / system and by the sounds of it, a system flush would certainly help. Unfortunately, I have retired and miles from Berkshire. Although BG are more expensive than others, if I remember correctly, you get a lifetime guarantee after flushing, as long as you stay in your house.
I would definitely recommend a system filter and I preferred this one :
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...39.vGi_qsTHHLk

Another one for you:
https://heatingforce.co.uk/blog/magn...ystem-filters/

After your system has been flushed, your system should be balanced and goes like this:
4) When all the radiators have warmed up - they don't have to be fully hot, all your noting down is the order in which they get warm, switch off the central heating and wait for the radiators to fully cool down.
5) Leaving all the flow valves open, fully close the lockshield valves and open them again in the order they warm up, i.e. No.1 open the valve by a ¼ turn; No.2 valve by a ½ turn; No.3 valve by a ¾ turn and so on until you reach the end of the circuit.
6) Now you can go back to each radiator and close the flow valves or set your thermostatic valves to suit comfort requirements.
Doing it this way ensures that the rad nearest the boiler and therefore getting the hottest water, doesn't steal it all from the others, each radiator will now get progressively more water passing through it until the last rad is now receiving a balanced amount of hot water.
Thermostatic radiator valves are ALWAYS recommended, as is a room thermostat installed correctly and boiler servicing.
I hope that this helps
Very useful, Gasman, am about to give it a go.

Many Thanks
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 08:47 PM

Just before I set up the Flushing people to come and do the job, I decided to give the circuit a damn good flushing.

Yes, you know what I'm going to say!

All the banging and rumbling disappeared and I was even able to turn up the water thermostat half a turn.

I'm pretty confident that this will last through the winter and then I might think again!

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Just before I set up the Flushing people to come and do the job, I decided to give the circuit a damn good flushing.

Yes, you know what I'm going to say!

All the banging and rumbling disappeared and I was even able to turn up the water thermostat half a turn.

I'm pretty confident that this will last through the winter and then I might think again!

Great job Ted. Don't forget to add some Fernox
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Great job Ted. Don't forget to add some Fernox
Good advice mate
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
I hope that this helps
Thanks Steve. I've read about balancing before, but yours is the clearest explanation I've seen.

I've been thinking about having a flush, but there are some things I think need doing first.

A bathroom radiator is quite rusty underneath and I think needs replacing. Also, our living room radiator needs bleeding fairly regularly, so I assume there is some corrosion inside and that might need replacing too.

If two radiators (or maybe more!) are to be replaced, I assume that the system would need to be drained as well, so a flush might be best left until that's done. I hope I'm right!

Hope you're keeping well, by the way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Steve. I've read about balancing before, but yours is the clearest explanation I've seen.

I've been thinking about having a flush, but there are some things I think need doing first.

A bathroom radiator is quite rusty underneath and I think needs replacing. Also, our living room radiator needs bleeding fairly regularly, so I assume there is some corrosion inside and that might need replacing too.

If two radiators (or maybe more!) are to be replaced, I assume that the system would need to be drained as well, so a flush might be best left until that's done. I hope I'm right!

Hope you're keeping well, by the way.
The system doesn't have to be drained/partially drained unless you are changing the valves as well. Otherwise you would just shut the valves off then drain the radiators.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 09:04 PM

The system doesn't have to be drained/partially drained unless you are changing the valves as well. Otherwise you would just shut the valves off then drain the radiators.
Ah, yes of course. I can see the sense there.
However, at least one valve (on a different radiator) fails to shut off even if I turn the TRV down to zero.

I assume it wouldn't be possible to freeze the inlet pipe below the radiator in order to change the valve, would it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

23-02-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, yes of course. I can see the sense there.
However, at least one valve (on a different radiator) fails to shut off even if I turn the TRV down to zero.

I assume it wouldn't be possible to freeze the inlet pipe below the radiator in order to change the valve, would it?
It is possible but it's not that difficult to drain tbh.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

23-02-2020, 09:18 PM

It is possible but it's not that difficult to drain tbh.
Yes, I think I'd prefer that if having a flush as well.
Start over completely and with new inhibitor.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top