Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:11 AM

Re: Retirement

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It ISN'T a pension though. It is a State Age Related Benefit (SARB) and in my opinion should have been abandoned years ago and replaced with means tested Benefits. That way support would be focused where it is needed.

It falls me when I hear or read about people claiming to have "paid into" some thing as if it were a private pension fund.

They haven't.
I think I can understand why people think that it is a Pension, though.

For one thing, all of my mail, on the subject, comes from "The Pension Service".

Then the letters referring to any changes say "About Your State Pension"

Another letter starts "How your weekly rate of State Pension is made up"

and goes on to Contracted out versus state Pension, etc.

So, the point I'm making is that the Government seems to be determined to sell this as a Pension.

Look at your letters, folks!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:17 AM

If it is not a pension then why do we get letters.etc; from the Department of works and PENSIONS giving us information as to any changes we will be getting. Surely we should be getting them from the SARB department, if it exists.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Retire Early? You will regret it. I retired when I was 70 That was 22 years ago and even now wish I could go back to work.
As for an old age pension. By the way some are talking it seems as though we should only get a pension for a certain time after retirement and then it should be "Sod you, you are now on your own"
Apart from my time in the forces I have never, ever been out of work and would dearly like to know my total contributions into NI over these years.
Holidays? Too costly. I booked a holiday in a hotel on the Isle of Wight. The cost of insurance, because of my age and the single room supplement was going to cast almost as much as the holiday (A week) itself. I cancelled.
IMO Everyone who has worked all their lives and contributed to their pension should not, as has been suggested, thrown on the scrap heap and receive nothing as thanks for what they have done for their country.
I and millions like me have never claimed anything in the way of benefits from the state. Still some say we deserve nothing when the time comes when we are unable to work.
But you and others have NOT contributed to your pension. For one thing it's not a pension, it's a Benefit.

As for retiring, I retired when I reached fifty four, one year before I had planned to. Best move I ever made.

Holidays? Certainly! But not in the UK. It's too expensive and lousy value for money.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:40 AM

My biggest regret was retiring. I don’t like it one bit!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
If it is not a pension then why do we get letters.etc; from the Department of works and PENSIONS giving us information as to any changes we will be getting. Surely we should be getting them from the SARB department, if it exists.
Simply because of the brouhaha that would arise if the name was changed and the political advantage that the corrupt anti-Semitic Labour/Momentum party would claim.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:48 AM

Whoops Sorry! Wrong thread.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My biggest regret was retiring. I don’t like it one bit!
Why? Are you bored? I can't wait to retire, I've so many things I want to be doing that doesn't even necessarily mean spending money.

If it's because you are bored you could volunteer I suppose
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

09-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Old Yiddish proverb

"When your wife asks for an animal skin coat do not buy her a donkey jacket"
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 12:01 PM

Well I must be a pensioner of very different thoughts because I consider myself well off yet i receive only my state pension. I did save towards a private pension but took that at 60 as a small lump sum ( triviality) this is my safety net money in case of emergency, what's left of it anyway.

I worked from the age of 15 until 64 . I could have retired at 60 but chose to work on . I never received good wages and mostly until the age of 57 earned the minimum wage . I worked in cleaning, shop work, waitressing , bar work . Any work available .After that age I earned slightly more , but not much more .

So I live well on my state pension, I have what I need , a 12 year old seat' , a small house now paid for . I'm warm and eat well. I dont ask much of life apart from 3 years ago I treated myself to a fortnight in Thailand a holiday of a lifetime for me where I met other pensioners already booking another holiday weeks later expensive ones too .

So maybe I'm of a different thinking because I had little throughout my life I have no expectations as an older woman . Of course I would love to travel and see the world but I cant so I watch it on the TV . I do think some people think they should always have a holidays and nice things because I used to meet them when I worked and some had many holidays each year , but I never had those expectations .

I am not complaining and respect many of you and your thoughts but I think when you've had little in life and been glad of small things that have come your way you are glad of what you have . So for me my state pension is my weekly wage for being able to do what I want and when I want and not having to say yes sir no sir and long may it last
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Why? Are you bored? I can't wait to retire, I've so many things I want to be doing that doesn't even necessarily mean spending money.

If it's because you are bored you could volunteer I suppose
LQ, lt’s not boredom at all. It’s the interaction and being in the workplace that l miss. I was never stressed when l worked and bringing up children, l didn’t know the meaning of stress until l stopped and had more time to think about me!
I swear, your brain slows down to adapt to your retirement life. I also think, you either love retirement or you hate it.

At the moment, l have lots on and l am actually volunteering for the U3A, helping with the membership renewals. There are well over a 1000 members now and it’s rising rapidly. The woman doing it at the moment can’t cope and asked for volunteers.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top