Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 01:43 AM

Pros and Cons of election result?

I have been looking for the upsides and the downsides of the
election, here is the list lncan think of, can anyone think of any more?

PROS
got working majority
got rid of Corbyn etc
got rid of Hammond etc
got rid of Bercow
more optimism
got rid of Swinson

CONS
no change to political set up
have to pay divorce bill

Thats my lot, anymore?
Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 02:41 AM

Re: Pros and Cons of election result?

PROS

Stop talking about BREXIT?
You can actually get down to the business of government?

CONS
No comment. Up to you(se)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:37 AM

Pros:

We won't have Brexit "discussions" overwhelming the forum and boring the pants off us. (for "discussions" read - "the same people saying the same thing over and over again ad nauseum")

Cons:

Britain now has 5 years of government with the Clown Prince and upper class knob in charge.

Apart from that what could possibly go wrong? The last 3+ years have proved that parliament is totally unnecessary for the smooth running of the UK.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 06:50 AM

Hi

Pros, getting the major issues sorted out.

Cons. Not getting them sorted out.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I have been looking for the upsides and the downsides of the
election, here is the list lncan think of, can anyone think of any more?

PROS
got working majority
got rid of Corbyn etc
got rid of Hammond etc
got rid of Bercow
more optimism
got rid of Swinson

CONS
no change to political set up
have to pay divorce bill

Thats my lot, anymore?
Donkeyman!
There is no need to pay ANYTHING. Just invoke a cold hard BREXIT and then and only then start discussing mutually advantageous treaties.

Otherwise we will be subject to corrupt undemocratic European Commission blackmail.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 11:01 AM

Unless I miss my guess there is only one Pro and the no foreseeable Cons stop

The pro is that we now have a government with a good working majority which should enable them to get the legislation they need through Parliament to get on with Brexit. Also on what seems to be the face of it a government set on equalising society and moving the emphasis away from London.

So far as the no change in political setup I think there will be quite a few changes. First and foremost should be changes in the constituency boundaries to ensure a more equal distribution of voters. The present setup, where it takes fewer Labour voters to elect an MP than it does to elect a Conservative MP, or any other MP for that matter, should be changed.

There is already talk of government making changes in the setup at the BBC and not before time either. I think you'll find that Boris will be a man of his word particularly in terms of his debt to the North and will do his best to carry out his promises, although I'm sure there will be those who will do their utmost to prevent him.

Perhaps the most gratifying result from this election is that despite all the insults, the abuse and sometimes downright hatred that Boris has had to endure by using humour and good nature has won through in the end despite his detractors. Those who called him a buffoon, Clown Prince, a liar and the rest have been shown to be lacking in judgement. Good on you Boris I say, now get on with it

On second thoughts perhaps there is a Con which is assuming that the extreme left is vanquished and gone forever, it isn't, it will be back because they unable to learn the lessons of history, or even more recently of other countries, I'm thinking of Venezuela and a few other South American countries.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Pros:

We won't have Brexit "discussions" overwhelming the forum and boring the pants off us. (for "discussions" read - "the same people saying the same thing over and over again ad nauseum")

Cons:

Britain now has 5 years of government with the Clown Prince and upper class knob in charge.

Apart from that what could possibly go wrong? The last 3+ years have proved that parliament is totally unnecessary for the smooth running of the UK.

On your first point Brucy, what makes you think ( discussion ??) on
the forum will stop, untill brexit is done and dusted?
And as to overwhelming the forum, 90% of brexit posts are in the
brexit forum, which as its name implies, is set aside for this purpose?
On your second point, you seem to assume that Boris and the tories
will stay united? Imo this has yet to be proven!
The difficult part of exit has yet to come and much as l want Boris to
succeed l dont have much faith in the rest of his team?
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-12-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Unless I miss my guess there is only one Pro and the no foreseeable Cons stop

The pro is that we now have a government with a good working majority which should enable them to get the legislation they need through Parliament to get on with Brexit. Also on what seems to be the face of it a government set on equalising society and moving the emphasis away from London.

So far as the no change in political setup I think there will be quite a few changes. First and foremost should be changes in the constituency boundaries to ensure a more equal distribution of voters. The present setup, where it takes fewer Labour voters to elect an MP than it does to elect a Conservative MP, or any other MP for that matter, should be changed.

There is already talk of government making changes in the setup at the BBC and not before time either. I think you'll find that Boris will be a man of his word particularly in terms of his debt to the North and will do his best to carry out his promises, although I'm sure there will be those who will do their utmost to prevent him.

Perhaps the most gratifying result from this election is that despite all the insults, the abuse and sometimes downright hatred that Boris has had to endure by using humour and good nature has won through in the end despite his detractors. Those who called him a buffoon, Clown Prince, a liar and the rest have been shown to be lacking in judgement. Good on you Boris I say, now get on with it

On second thoughts perhaps there is a Con which is assuming that the extreme left is vanquished and gone forever, it isn't, it will be back because they unable to learn the lessons of history, or even more recently of other countries, I'm thinking of Venezuela and a few other South American countries.
When l say no change in the political set up RM l mean the same
two long established parties will still be argueing the toss?
I agree with you about Boris so far, he has proved superior to all
others up till now!
Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

15-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There is no need to pay ANYTHING. Just invoke a cold hard BREXIT and then and only then start discussing mutually advantageous treaties.

Otherwise we will be subject to corrupt undemocratic European Commission blackmail.
My thoughts exactly Todgy, but Boris has to keep his party united,
and l doubt if most of them have the stomach for what will be
needed to convince the commission we are serious! just look what
we have seen so far
B Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2019, 10:05 PM

Pros; Seeing the look on Swinson's face and hearing that Corbyn is to hold an inquiry as to why they lost (as if they don't already know)

Cons: Things will go back to 'normal'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top