Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 02:46 PM

gutter corner drip

All the time we have been here the nearest corner of the extn gutter in the first picture has always dripped. I thought I had fixed it by replacing the long bit with a new black gutter from the old brown half filled cement second hand one that was there before.
However that was not the only problem , the slope was wrong as well.The water just lay there as the nutter before I don't think he knew water run downhill.

so this morning I decided to fix it for once and for all. Off came the long bit and off as well the support brackets. Then out with a metal ruler to mark where the bottom of the support brackets should be to give a slight, but enough slope. then replaced that part of the gutter and test with the far corner taken down..

You can just see each support bracket bottoms are nearer the bottom of the barge board at the far end

Yes water is the best way to check and the water run all the way to the far end. Yippee got the slope correct.

Now for the down pipe end around the corner which again was a complete bodge, but that is what I expected.

All the joints taped together so they had to come off as well as the 2 support brackets. Next was to cut back a bit of connection round pipe which buggered everything up. So
refixed only one support bracket in new position to allow the slope to continue. Didn't think it needed 2 brackets for such a short length and the downpipe connection give enough support that end any way.

Ok now for a full flowing length water test and it worked. Not as fast a flow as I would have liked but it as I said works. Pity there was not enough depth in the plastic barge board to get a half decent slope, so had to make the best of what was there

Please don't ask why the main roof down pipe is brown and the rest is black, think he must have been not only stupid but colour blind a well. Annoying thing is he claimed to be a builder with his own firm. No wonder he went bust
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Re: gutter corner drip

Not everyone is Mr Perfect, they probably do their best and don’t warrant being called a ‘nutter’ or ‘stupid’.
Woodsman59
Hayling Island
Woodsman59 is male  Woodsman59 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 03:42 PM

A good job , ours are not too bad but I've cleaned them quite a lot lately. Trees nearby and ours really need a downpipe at both ends.

I take out our water butt divertor in winter because it causes so many blockages.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Not everyone is Mr Perfect, they probably do their best and don’t warrant being called a ‘nutter’ or ‘stupid’.
Agreed except in this case,even the neighbours wondered about him. Who would have a girl friend in a camper van front seat while wife is left in the back to rattle around in while going on holiday.

Or take his electrical skills as just one example. A normal person would for lighting wire to a switch and from the switch to the light.

Not him, he goes from light switch to outside floodlight to be used only as a junction box not to work as a light. Again same again onwards to a pendant light (junction box only) the flourescent tube( junction box only) to a sodium light use as a light.

Or brace up roof rafters with a cabinet brace. I left this like this as an example of his skills

The garage floor extn was laid without a damp proof membrane going down first so it gets wet when we get bad weather

Com on Mags this is as so called professional builder running his own building firm and a so called expert carpenter as well.

I spent 5 years as an apprentice electrician working with all trades, and i don't remember seeing such shoddy work as this

These are just a couple of examples ,so yes he was a totally incapable person let loose on the general public.

If I listed all the balls ups it would make a good book on how not to.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 09:29 PM

If I listed all the balls ups it would make a good book on how not to.
So why don't you write it?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

16-01-2020, 10:20 PM

spot the mistake

correct built over conservatory window

who puts a downpipe into a solid concrete pit 2ftx2ft x2ft with no drainage outlet?

Old conservatory now top gone, and new UPVC being installed

who using soft wood for the outside conservatory window sill ?

Goes to France and brings home an all sing dancing shower unit with radio, only to find the connecting pipe have a different thread to UK ones so can't use most of it

who double nails down roof tiles on something like this

Give you one guess! a so called professional builder with his own failed building business
Those are a few more things I had to sort out. But I didn't either know about or knew I could fix.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

16-01-2020, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mags I don't know what else to call him apart from a complete idiot

If we wern't desperate for a house and they wern't selling almost before they went on the market we may have considered alternative places.

This was put on the market 3 days before we viewed and already some couples showed interest after viewing and more booked in for the next weekend in 2 days time.

So we had to say yes or no right then and there. We had been to see so many houses, most gone before we got to view, Even phone calls from agents on the way to view, in the car we were told it had sold.

I actually fell in love with it when I saw it on the internet one morning. So rang the agent saying we will be there in 2/3 hours, we were 100 miles + away at the time.

We raced down saw it and said we would have it as long as it was withdrawn from sale, didn't want to get into a bidding war.

If you have the cash would you not love it and want it
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2020, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mags I don't know what else to call him apart from a complete idiot

If we wern't desperate for a house and they wern't selling almost before they went on the market we may have considered alternative places.

This was put on the market 3 days before we viewed and already some couples showed interest after viewing and more booked in for the next weekend in 2 days time.

So we had to say yes or no right then and there. We had been to see so many houses, most gone before we got to view, Even phone calls from agents on the way to view, in the car we were told it had sold.

I actually fell in love with it when I saw it on the internet one morning. So rang the agent saying we will be there in 2/3 hours, we were 100 miles + away at the time.

We raced down saw it and said we would have it as long as it was withdrawn from sale, didn't want to get into a bidding war.

If you have the cash would you not love it and want it
Not if it had as many problems as you say it did. My house had many problems but I spotted them and it was reflected in the price. The 'nutter' builder as you call him probably thinks you were the 'nutter' for buying it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-01-2020, 12:15 AM

We were staying with family, not a happy situation. We had the money but no houses suitable. Even new builds were all sold months before even started. We did try making an offer but turned down . You have no idea how quickly were being sold, generally within a week of going on the market. Very fortunate to grab here only up for sale 3 earlier. Worth getting as it increased in 5 years by £150,000 approximately

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top