Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 01:35 PM

Re: What has happened to word ?

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How did I get around it? I didn't, I just don't bother. There's no way I'm going to pay for something that should be free IMO.

I can't say it enough times but I HATE Win10 and the thought behind it.

Ditto

Which is why I never upgraded to W10 and stayed on W7

All of this BS was so so predictable

W10 is just a selling platform. It's foundational aspect was that Microsoft would be in control of the computer rather than the user imho.

With W7 the user is in control.

Accordingly my laptops have Windows Updates completely disabled and thus what I run on my laptops runs fine in perpetuity. Microsoft can't get their claws into it.

Of course I won't be able to do this forever.

The great collusion of giant corporations is already leading to websites that just refuse you entry unless you have certain versions of Windows and/or browsers.

Google Maps for example. They worked fine with old laptops and IE versions but Google arbitrarily decided to actually BLOCK entry to the site for machines with old versions.

All of course to make people upgrade to W10

Other websites are now following, refusing to display at all if you don't have later versions of browsers.

Thing is, if an old version of a browser makes the website not display perfectly well that's my lookout isn't it not theirs so why block people? I'm happy to have a website view that isn't quite perfect but no, they are actually blocking entry to the website if I don't have specific versions of browsers. As I say, all a ploy to force users to W10.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 02:23 PM

We start off with somebody asking for help and end up with some taking the opportunity (once again) to post the usual rants about Windows 10 and Microsoft ..none of which I agree with incidentally. Broken records playing here. I give up!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Luckily, I keep a print of any important documents, letters etc.
I've actually started hand writing letters as I don't have Word or Office any more either. Takes ages and completely illegible but, hey ho!
Damn you Windows 10! (A pox on all their houses!)
Then do as some of us have suggested: download LibreOffice and don't feel beholden to Microsoft.

I can't say it enough times but I HATE Win10 and the thought behind it.
I feel the same way. Windows 7 was perfectly fine, but Microsoft likes to dictate to its customers.

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Which is why I never upgraded to W10 and stayed on W7

Accordingly my laptops have Windows Updates completely disabled and thus what I run on my laptops runs fine in perpetuity. Microsoft can't get their claws into it.
Well done! I have tried to do the same but eventually and inevitably I am forced to accept their updates. I assume that if running W7 the updates cannot be forced upon you?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
We start off with somebody asking for help and end up with some taking the opportunity (once again) to post the usual rants about Windows 10 and Microsoft ..none of which I agree with incidentally. Broken records playing here. I give up!
To be honest, I can live with W10 but, ideally, I'd like to avoid continual demands that I accept Windows Updates.

My computer runs perfectly well without them and, annoyingly, when I do have to accept one it is not unusual for it to compromise some of my settings.

Simple question: if my computer continues to work properly without updates, why can't I choose not to have them?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
A bit off the subject of the original post but do you need to use MS Windows at all? Linux Mint is installed on our son's computer and it works well. There is nearly always and equivalent Linux Program of every Windows program ..and Linux is completely free.

Might switching to Linux be better than putting up with the HATE you feel every time you use the computer?
It probably would be a good move and would save me moaning about MS but I think a complete change of OS would make me very nervous. I plan to buy another laptop at the end of the year so maybe I could try it on this old one first to see how I get on.

I assume I can still make a partition on Win10 and stick it on there.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I assume that if running W7 the updates cannot be forced upon you?
Correct. With Win 7 the user has the simple ability to totally disable ALL windows updates.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

02-01-2020, 04:46 PM

Simple question: if my computer continues to work properly without updates, why can't I choose not to have them?

Because with Win 10 you are no longer in control.

They can and will force updates one way or another. You may be able to delay when you update but in the end you will have to take them.

As we saw with the frankly criminal way MS went about forcing people to upgrade from older versions to W10 by throwing an update down the line that auto upgraded you, their intentions and methods are quite clear.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 04:49 PM

I rarely do docs nowadays but when I do I use LibreOffice. I,m all for Freeware.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2020, 04:52 PM

To be honest, I can live with W10 but, ideally, I'd like to avoid continual demands that I accept Windows Updates.

My computer runs perfectly well without them and, annoyingly, when I do have to accept one it is not unusual for it to compromise some of my settings.

I'm sure that's been asked before and I have given an opinion on it. Probably...

* Not read.
* Read and instantly forgotten.
* Read but not remembered later.
* Disagreed with and discarded.
* Not worth taking in the post in the first place.

Whatever the case, I wouldn't want to keep repeating myself. I'm sure it could be searched for.

I think once an opinion is set in the mind of a person that cares about a subject, nothing anyone says will change it. We take note of what's said by the people or articles we think are important and then the mind becomes closed. We can dance around a topic a few times in a discussion for the sake of making posts but the crux of the matter is that anybody who cares about the subject under 'discussion' is not going to give an inch. I believe that's the stage we're all at with the current Microsoft OS and its updates.

It's just that there's just no need to keep bringing this up in other subjects in my opinion. We all know who has strong opinions on Windows 10. To me, there's no point in trying to help with a Microsoft problem if it's only going to be used as a platform for bringing up the same old Windows 10 comments again and again. The situation is what it is. People are running W.10, the programs on it and want some help with some aspect or other.

I suspect your mind is set JBR but if not, it's best spread you wings wider than here and do your own research. I'm pretty happy with the way I run the computer but whatever conclusions you come to would be respected by me, even if it's not what I do.

This reputable site might be a place to start researching the question of Windows updates. Saves me from writing about it again.

https://www.howtogeek.com/406120/why...pdate-so-much/
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

02-01-2020, 04:57 PM

It probably would be a good move and would save me moaning about MS but I think a complete change of OS would make me very nervous. I plan to buy another laptop at the end of the year so maybe I could try it on this old one first to see how I get on.

I assume I can still make a partition on Win10 and stick it on there.
Yes, you can do that LD. When you install Linux Mint, it offers to set up a dual-boot system. After this is set up and when the computer is switched on, the option is given to boot either into Windows or Linux.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top